OS | Mausam Hai Suhana

If Khushi could skip around as she walked the hallways of her gigantic house, she would but owing to the multiple instances where she had fallen while simply walking or standing, she chose to absently hum her favorite tunes while engaged in daily chores.

Arnav's attention was redirected to her whilst in midst of a phone call when she walked in with a bunch of clothes in her hand. She threw the pile onto the bed, and slowly started to fold them.

His brows cocked up at the tune she was humming, "Aaj mausam hai suhana, kapre theh karne ka hai bahana! What the, What the, What the!—". He rolled his eyes and smiled amusedly before the person on the other side of the call yelled in to confirm whether he was still on-call or not.

*

Per the cycle of daily events, Arnav and Khushi had gotten into a tiff over something extremely ordinary. The source of argument in question was whether Aarav should be allowed to go to a summer camp abroad. Khushi had been skeptical whilst Arnav saw no problem in sending the ten-year-old thousands of kilometers away.

Arnav was sitting with his laptop opened on the recliner with the black screen reflecting his thoughtful face when Khushi walked in to glare at his absent face, and then proceeded to dust the shelves of the room while humming an all too familiar tune, "Aaj mausam hai suhana, tana shahi ka hai bahana! What the, What the, What the—"

The change of words in her humming brought Arnav out of his reverie who heaved a sigh before coming up with a solution to their fight.

"How about we go with him?" He said, bringing her humming to a halt. She looked at him with questioning eyes, "—we can go with him, drop him off, I can move meetings to teleconferences, and we'll stay there until the camp is over, and he'll come back with us?"

She looked away thoughtfully before hesitantly agreeing with him.

*

Khushi opened the fridge to put away some of the water poured into the bottle when she saw a tupperware with leftover mithai. She looked up and looked around to see Jai Prakash sweeping the floor on the other side of the hallway. She grinned. She leaned against the counter and took a bite of the barfi in the tupperware.

In between mouthfuls, she hummed the tune all too familiar to everyone around her. "Aaj mausaum hai suhana, barfi khane ka hai bahana! What the, What the, What the—." In a few more minutes that followed up, she looked at the last bit of barfi left in the tupperware. Her tune came to a halt just as she headed to wash off in the sink behind her, and just when Jai Prakash questioned, "Bhabhi, were you saying something?"

She replied with an exaggerated sad "no" and walked away.

*

Arnav had been home for the entirety of the weekend. It was the early hours of Sunday morning, about an hour before the family gathered for breakfast when he decided to indulge himself in some gardening.

A tune all too familiar to him somehow made its way into his mind and lost in the crisp morning breeze, the smell of dewy grass, and the mundanity of his surroundings, he hummed out a mixture of words usually echoing from his wife's mouth.

Khushi entered the room to summon Arnav for breakfast when she heard him butcher the song she had composed for herself, "Aaj mausam hai suhana, gardening ka hai bahana, something dhoop something, What the, What the, What the,—something Mausam hai suhana—"

She shook her head in disapproval and said, "You're singing it wrong."

"What?" He questioned looking up with a small spade in his hand, distracted by the fact that he didn't hear her anklets.

"You're singing the song wrong!" She said walking up to him, "Come downstairs for breakfast first." She added and then turned to leave.

He stood there flabbergasted for a few seconds, pursued his lips, and followed suit to wash up and join the family for breakfast.