OS | As It Comes

This OS was shared on October 22nd, 2013 for the IPKKND  on India forums; its revised edition would be available on my WordPress on Oct 22, 2021.

"Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections."

She stood by the edge of the poolside, leaning against the marbled pillar and lost in her own reflection. The soft breeze pulled occasional ripples into the water that made her frown but she stood silently without paying heed to her surroundings.

He walked in from the opposite corner towards the pool, disconnecting his phone call, and looked up immediately. The glass wall between them hadn't transpired but had thickened. She felt his piercing gaze on her, her eyes fluttered and moved towards him. He felt a sudden burden dropping over his shoulders, his hands being tied together and numbness pulling inside him.

She looked at his struggling figure. His face etching the loss of control and his hands trembling slightly as he pushed himself to break away from his own spells. She pursed her lips and walked away without breaking the melancholic silence that had settled around them.

He watched her walk away, the glass wall expanding as she carried it out with her, bubbling herself in it.

"Dammit", He muttered nipping his lips and falling into his own dug hole.

*

The buzzing in the house had calmed as the clock struck nine. Anjali walked down the stairs dressed in a loose salwar suit towards the living room to find her brother sitting quietly with his head in his hands.

"Why are you sitting here? And that too still not undressed from what you wore earlier?" she questioned sitting opposite him. Her creases on her face from running around the children earlier softened as she sipped onto the cup of tea that was placed in front of her.

"Khushi isn't asleep yet. I don't want her to remember everything that had surpassed earlier before going to sleep. It's bad enough she wakes up to see my face." He replied stiffly scrolling through the screen of blackberry. Sensing the tingling air he made a mental note of updating the Google app later since the discussion ongoing was making it seem impossible for him to concentrate.

"Chotte." She uttered pulling him out of his own world, heaving a sigh.

"I know Di." He placed the phone on the table and looked up.

"Chotte, you need to talk to her. You can't just leave her on her own at this time." She put the cup down and straightened up. "And just in case you haven't noticed, your wife isn't the one breaking. Apparently, she's the one holding it strong."

He looked up, sensing a collapse inside him. "You don't need to tell me what I feel Di." His lips curled and the sharp glimmer returned in his eyes. "And, from what I remember, I think you yourself know what it feels to lose the first child except we just didn't lose a child Di. We lost all the hopes of ever being good parents again as well."

He stood up and furiously stormed out. The powerful capacity that only a few words held echoed around the walls of Shantivan, where everything besides distinctive peace was present.

***

[Three years later]

"Do you think she would've liked tulips better than the roses?" Khushi asked softly as they drove towards the edge of the city.

"I think she would have liked roses." He uttered gently

"Oh, how can you be so confident? Mansi loves tulips." She questioned amused.

"First of all, Mansi is Payal and Akash's daughter. She would obviously like something that is a bit mellow than thorns. Nia would typically have had our genes, so she would have preferred roses." He argued

"You're just saying that because it's just rose plants planted in your mother's garden and outside the family graveyard." She replied rolling her eyes as the car halted.

"Whatever.." he muttered before stepping out and pulling the door open for her.

"Easy there..." he uttered helping her out of the car. His hands moved towards her hips, gently holding on to her back so she could easily walk.

"Thanks." Her voice sounded almost like a whisper as he pulled away to lock the car doors.

They walked hand in hand towards the small grave that was laid behind the rose garden. The green pathways spread around it while the hedges covered the area. Khushi gently placed her head on his shoulder starring at the headstone.

"She would've been four today. Probably all excited to start school in few more weeks." She uttered choking on her own words. He felt his glass walls building as her grip tightened on his arms but a warm surge rushed inside him, asking him to drop the broken pieces before hurting anyone else.

"I think we should name this one Nia." He started breaking the silence.

They stood there for about an hour or two talking about the possibilities, what-ifs, and would-bes hoping to take another leaping step without the intense life rushing behind them.