OS | Because of Me...

originally written and posted between July 18th, 2012 and July 22th, 2012 on India-forums;

part one was the runner up OS in the 41st Arhilicious Droolers Newsletter on India-forums;

Part One:

She sat silently by the pool, letting the soft serene moonlight reflect on her. Ripples formed as the silent breeze passed through. Her eyes mirrored her distraught state, her hair loosely flung on her back and her shoulders trembled with shock.

She didn't know how much time had passed by and what had happened, not just in the past few hours but in the past year. The distraught look in her eyes had evaded her face now, draining the color off to a sheet of ice white. Her rosy lips dried up forming small cracks. She silently bent down to pull her bag and started to stuff in all her belongings.

---

He stepped into the house with the images of her cold died body in his arms flashing in his mind. The realization of the grave mistake he had committed a few hours ago struck him. Opening the doors which were slightly ajar, he stood dumbstruck.

She was putting in her clothes back and murmuring under her breath. It seemed as if a ghost had taken over her.

"Khushi! What are you doing Khushi?"

"You were right. It is all because of me. It was me who broke jiji's wedding, it was me who crashed in your fashion show, it was me whose words caused you to air that video of me and you, it was me who Shyam had to rescue, it was because of me we moved to Delhi, it was because of me Shyam interacted with my family, it was because of me babu ji got ill, it was because of me that Lavanya ji and you broke up. It was because of me Di is such a state..." Her voice trailed off clouding her eyes with unknown fear of loneliness. "It was because of me my parents died. Everything was because of me.." Her lips vibrated, leaving her body to tremble at its own pace.

It sounded as I'd she was accusing herself. She shook her head and met his eyes, "Our contract will be over in two days. I'm leaving."

He stood there watching her pull the zip of her bag and take the steps towards the door. Light reflected off her mangalsutar and it was then he jolted back.

Part Two

He jolted back in that very second and pulled her wrist letting her collide on his chest. "You can't just leave me like that Khushi!" His voice reflected his pain

"I have to Arnav ji. If not now, then it'll be too late!"

Her voice was still stuck in trance and by the looks in her eyes, it looked as if he had finally finished off the Khushi he had met. She let her hand loose from her grip to only have him pull her back again.

"You are married to me! You can't leave like this! We married for a reason and the deal..."

"The reason was to protect Di's marriage and that it failed to do!" Something flammable had lit in her eyes, causing the rage to spark. Her face hardened with every word uttered from her mouth!

"Our contract is almost OVER! Throw the thought of 'US' Arnav ji, it never was and never will be!"

"But Khushi, why aren't you understanding?!" he pleaded, choking on his own words. The dim light of the moon reflected on the pool, illuminating the room with shimmering light.

"I don't need to understand anymore!" She half screamed half yelled covering her ears with both her hands, letting the silent tears roll down the plain surface of her cheeks, leaving them with a tinge of redness.

"I don't need to understand more!" She whispered hoarsely.

"It was because of me, and it'll always be because of me!" She stated in a usual form and with tears streaming down her face, rushed out with her duffle before he could stop her again. It had been because of her till now and always be.

Two Years Later

He walked with measured steps towards his main door of the house with the leather laptop bag hanging in his shoulder by a strap. His eyes had round circles underneath creating a contrast with his fair skin. The door opened and without a word, he moved towards his room.

His eyes caught his family seated in the living area, darkening his features. His lips pursed and he with long strides, shut himself up. It had been exactly two years since she had left. Two years since he hadn't even gotten a glimpse of her. "If only I'd had understood the dynamics then." He sat by the poolside looking up at the stars, "All because of me..."