OS | Hey, I Missed You

It was no secret to the members of the Raizada household that Arnav and Khushi were incapable of keeping their hands off each other. While generally, no one dared to stop Arnav from dragging his wife away from family gatherings, which Akash had found extremely unfair, the week before Diwali, everybody had collectively decided that they would rather die than let Arnav drag Khushi away, especially with multiple guests visiting and Khushi being the eldest bahu who possessed the zest for event management.

Manorama fretted over the new cushions on the couch before running over to straighten the curtains Hari Prakash had just hung when she saw Arnav walk into the house with Akash following behind. She was quick to call Akash over to help her out who did little to nothing to help her besides standing behind her as she rambled about no one caring that her sister was visiting. Arnav shook his head and muttered an 'unbelievable' before trying to find the one person he had been looking for. Khushi was standing near the mandir with a notepad in her hand and had just looked up.

She smiled at him as he tilted his head, silently asking him to follow her. She raised her eyebrows to try to insinuate that Mami might not let her go but he was insistent. She shrugged, putting the notepad on the table in the way before walking up to her. He leaned in to kiss her cheek. "Jija ji is here!" she punched him lightly on the arm. Arnav switched his laptop bag into the other hand before wrapping his arm around her waist as they two walked upstairs, hoping to remain unnoticed.

Unfortunately, they were noticed! "Oh ho Phatti Sari—matlab Khushi!", Manorama called out from the back!

"Just ignore Khushi!" Arnav mumbled into her ear.

Manorama rushed towards the stairs and noticed Arnav's arms around her. "Oh no Arnav bitwa, I need PhaKhushi betiya with me today!" She was quick to pull Khushi's other arm towards her and dragged her downstairs. —"You can have her back later!" she called out before directing Khushi to change the table covers in the room.

Arnav stood rooted to his spot for about a whole minute with Khushi casting stolen glances towards him with an apologetic face. Never before had someone just taken Khushi away from him like this. He slowly moved away, stunned to process any other thoughts.

---

Arnav came downstairs looking for his wife whom he hadn't properly seen in about a week's time. Manorama's sister and NK's mother was coming back to India after about ten years and staying over with them for about a month. While Arnav had no objections to the arrangement when he was inquired about it thrice by both Anjali and Khushi respectively, he had begun questioning the setup after seeing that Payal and Khushi were held responsible for most of the whims Manorama was concerned about. He didn't understand why he paid salaries to an army of servants if everything was to befall upon his Khushi in the last minute.

He spotted Khushi sitting next to Nani ji and Mami, nodding along to instructions being given.

"Khushi, can you come upstairs!" he asked in front of the older ladies.

"Nahi Chotte, Khushi betiya ne abhi mandir saajana hai."

"What?!"

"Bitwa, she can't come right now."

"Why can't Payal do it? or Di? Di loves doing stuff like this!"

"Chotte!" Deviyani was visibly irritated, "Anjali betiya was fasting today, she's at the mandir herself. and Payal betiya is making kheer for tonight."

Khushi smiled at him unapologetically, as he stomped towards the study.

---