OS | Glimpses

originally written and posted on May 15th, 2012 on India-forums;

Life is a complex circle blended in colors of black and white. It is we who chose which colors to bring out and which to bury deep inside with only stolen glimpses

A fifteen-year-old boy stood in the corner of the street watching the mob busy in their daily chores. His clothes looked a bit dirty but the rest of him reflected his upbringing in the elite class. His hands were wrapped around a knapsack filled with a few of his belongings. 

He was waiting for his sister who was using the phone of the people across the street with a sweet shop.

In few minutes, his sister ran towards him waving her hands frantically in the air, "Chote! Chote! Nani is coming Chote!" She stopped in front of him, making him sit beside the sidewalk. "We can start a new life Chote! Stop sulking, you can do this for your Di, right?" 

A small smile lighted the boy's face as he sat there along with his sister waiting for the halt in their lives to be lifted up.

An eleven-year-old girl sat on the porch watching the boy with an uncertain amount of interest. Her features were delicate and her skin was fair yet there was a sadness spreading on her face. Her trance was broken as her aunt entered the house yelling something and getting knocked down with her sitting in the middle of the doorway!

"Bloody Orphan!" Her words slashed the little girl's heart and two drops of tears fell from her eyes silently.

The boy's eyes shifted towards the girl who was addressed as an orphan.

They stared at each other with an unusual feeling filling inside them and then walked away from it. Leaving the circle to get bigger and bigger.

Few things are best left unsaid...