Untitled Part 24

The next day, when Josie was fully recovered from her procedure, she was still struggling emotionally. She approached Saige, the only other person there who she knew had DID.

"Hey... Could I ask you for some advice?" Josie approached the tall redhead. Even though they'd chatted a few times, she was still nervous.

"Hey, yeah! What's up?" She scooted over and patted the couch beside her.

"I just... You have DID, right?" she asked hesitantly. "Wait, is this Saige?"

She laughed softly. "Yeah, this is Saige. The others don't like to come out when I'm out in the common room."

"Oh, okay," Josie replied as she sat beside Saige. "Well I just... my alters. I'm so confused. It gets scary sometimes, like hen Carter took over and pulled my tube out. I just really need advice, or just a friend to lean on."

"I understand. It can be really overwhelming sometimes." Saige smiled warmly. "If you need a friend though, just remember you have some with you all the time: your alters. Of course not all of them are nice... but your mind creates them in response to traumatic events. Each alter is made to help you cope with specific traumatic events, even if you might not realize their purpose."

Josie paused. What was Carter's purpose? What trauma could have possibly created a mess that cut her up and didn't even want her to eat?

Saige saw her friend tense up, her breathing quickening. "Josie, are you okay? Shit, was that too much all at once?"

"No, it's okay," she said. "Just. Thinking about some things."

"Do you want to talk about it?" She could still hear Saige's voice, but she couldn't concentrate on it. She could barely concentrate on anything at all as her world blurred around her.

Let me help you, a voice said, a deep and soothing tone. You don't have to remember. Let me help you forget.

For once, Josie accepted the switch. She felt the familiar 'switching headache' budding in her temples as an alter came forward, with a rushing calm feeling like Josie was falling into a dream.

"Are you alright?" Saige asked carefully. "Who is this?"

"I'm... Ghost." Xe shuddered, not used to the body xe had to share. "This is the... first time I've been awake this... early in the day."

"Oh," she replied, a friendly smile blooming. "Well, welcome to the daylight world. My name is Saige - or did you know that?"

"I knew." Ghost crossed xyr legs and fiddled with the end of xyr feeding tube. "I, uh. I remember lots of... memories."

January 19th, 2010 - nine years ago. The day Josie's parents died. The day Ghost was created.

— — —

Josie was at home, playing a game with her dolls. Elaine was babysitting her, glad that her niece was away from her abusive dad and distant mom. She remembered the weather channel in the background. Suddenly the news changed - pileup on the highway, started by a car that had gone off the road and crashed into a tree. Three were confirmed dead, four were injured, more news to come later.

That's when Elaine got the call. Listed as Sabrina's emergency contact... crashed into a tree... both dead on arrival... Sabrina was driving, we suspect she was drinking... possible suicide... come as soon as possible.

Josie stared at her dolls. Her heart and mind broke. Her Daddy hurt her, and Mommy never talked to her... but they were her parents, wasn't she supposed to be sad? That was the moment Ghost split.