Another Instant Child

Elaine was looking out the window as the sun was beginning to set, holding a warm cup of tea. She was watching and waiting for the others to wake up as she had woken up early. She was shaking after the night terror she had. It was quite scary and she sat down by the couch, looking out the window.

Footsteps came down the stairs and it was Josie, a backpack on her shoulders. "Hey," she said as she went to hug Elaine. Elaine hugged her back, then set her drink down. "You okay?" Josie asked.

"Yeah, I've just been having night terrors again. I'd rather not talk about it." Elaine was pretty closed off when it came to her trauma. She didn't say much about it. It set off bad memories just thinking about it, shuddering from the feeling.

"Okay, If you say so." Josie said. "I love the sunrise too." She said with a bright smile on her face. She glanced at Elaine and wrapped her arms around her for a tight hug.

Josie noticed something in the distance, but ignored it. She went upstairs to her room and laid in bed, closing her eyes as she tried to sleep. She took a three-hour-long nap. She was exhausted.

Elaine got the wood for the fireplace and turned it on, closing the small doors. She sat down on the couch and closed her eyes, falling asleep as well. It was seven a.m. and she wasn't even comfortable on the couch but she was exhausted. Mizuki was asleep in the bedroom, nice and cozy.

At around two in the morning, knocking was heard. Elaine sleepily woke up to open the door. "hello?" she said.

"Hi... I'm your daughter." the girl said. She was drunk and crying then, she noticed and went to high the girl. It was late at night rand Elaine had no reason not to let her in. She didn't know if the girl was homeless or not. All she knew was that she was her daughter. She knew it, remembering the night she set her for adoption. Her name was Veronica.

"V-Veronica?"

"I hope I'm not making you uncomfortable, but I didn't know where else to go. I've been, I had to take a bus to get to Chicago..." Her words slurred heavily and Elaine watched the girl closely.

"So you're.. pregnant, homeless, and a... recovering alcoholic... correct?" Elaine stated.

The girl nodded. "I found your information through the agency." She said. She was struggling obviously.

Elaine still was shocked. "how did you know where to find me?" She asked, remembering the day she put her for adoption. She noticed how ill she looked. She was so skinny. "Have you been eating?" She asked.

The girl shook her head. "The little bit of money I get pays for my phone and some food. Usually only snacks from the gas station."

Elaine sighed. "I'm so sorry I never contacted you. I was so young when I had you that I couldn't keep you. But I'm so glad you're back." Elaine hugged her daughter and then looked into her eyes, realizing that it was truly her. She couldn't believe that her daughter was back; she never thought it was possible. She took a deep breath and held onto her.

Josie walked downstairs because she woke up from all the commotion. "Who's that?" She asked as she stood behind the couch.

"Oh... this is, my daughter..." she stated quietly.

Josie was confused, noticing the girl was pregnant. "What's your name?" She asked quietly.

"Veronica." She said as she sat up on the couch. She was struggling to stay sitting up as she was exhausted.

Elaine patted her shoulder. "Let's get you to the guest room. I should have some clothes that'll fit." She said as she helped the girl up and into the guest room. "You'll be okay."