Thanksgiving Dognapping

Elaine, Josie, Mizuki, and Veronica have Thanksgiving dinner that night. It was really hard for Josie because she knew if she ate, she'd get sick. It was hard to watch everyone eat. She got up and went to the living room and playing on her phone, texting Leo again, not knowing if he was out of the ward.

Josie waited for a response, but didn't receive one. It made her feel a little anxious because she was worried about him. He wasn't doing well when she was at the ward. She put her phone away and that's when She heard. "Let's go!! The parade is starting!" She figured it was Elaine, but went to look and she was right. She glanced at Elaine and sighed. "I'm coming." She rolled her wheelchair to the door and went outside with everyone else. They were all waiting right out in the street.

Josie rolled herself forward and down the sidewalk to their spot. She relaxed and locked her wheels in place. She looked around and she could see the lights coming by and the many different floats and a band playing music. It was called the Christmas Parade.

-- -- --

That night, Josie decided to try some mashed potatoes, slowly eating while everyone chit-chatted. She couldn't understand half of it because she was co fronting with Anna. I really like mashed potatoes. 'me too'. She sighed and looked at everyone eating, realizing she felt alone. Lonely, lost, missing something. Something was definitely missing. She couldn't figure it out.

She glanced at Elaine, signing to excuse herself. She got up, thankful for not being connected to her feeds, then ran towards the kitchen and went to the sink where she retched. She couldn't do it. Her mind made her ill.

She heard worried murmuring from the family. "Is she okay?" "What happened?" "Why is she sick?" "Why did she eat if she eats from a tube?"

All the questions were overwhelming for her so she left the kitchen when she was finished and went up to her room. She sat down on her bed and held her knees to her chest.

Someone knocked on the door. It was Veronica. She let her in and smiled slightly. "Are you okay? You didn't seem to look so good. Also, don't worry about them. They'll stop. They're just curious."

Mizuki had a large family so there were like 12 people in total at the table.

Josie looked at her and sighed. "Yeah." she sniffled. "I'll be okay." She murmured as she wiped her eyes. "I just get so overwhelmed..." she started crying and Veronica just held her tightly until she calmed down.

"You're strong Josie. Even though I wouldn't be able to handle all of what you're going through." She tried to sympathize, but she couldn't be empathetic. "I honestly don't know what to say. Other than you're a freaking badass rockstar."

— — —

She began to write in her journal while the boys watched the football game. She had no idea where Veronica went but Elaine and Mizuki were in their room.

Her journal entry;

Day 136:

Today was completely different than I expected. Veronica is honestly the bestest friend I've had in a long time. we're basically sisters. She called me a freaking badass rockstar for being so strong.

*switch*

I had a lot of fun today. I got to go and spend time with my best friends and get to be with my family. I wanna go get ice cream but mommy said no. -Alice

I honestly don't give a shit. This is all bullshit. I just want us to sleep and never wake up. -Carter

Josie finally regained control and fronted. "Y'all need to chill." She said out loud.

— — —

Josie waits until everyone is asleep before she purged the mashed potatoes from her G-tube. She used a bag and connected it and let it all flow out.

She locked the bathroom door and had the bag hanging from her tube. It took about ten minutes before she flushed the toilet. She stood there and sort of felt bad about vomiting in front of Mizuki's whole family.

Once she finished, she went back into her room and laid down, trying to fall back to sleep. She could hear some voices from downstairs, but was too exhausted to move. Her body aches and was sore everywhere.

— — —

Josie and Veronica go for a walk in the neighborhood together, looking around until they find a stray dog, he isn't microchipped so they decide that they're going to adopt him.

"Are you sure it's a good idea?" Josie asked.

Veronica nodded. "Might as well. He's a stray and needs a home." She said as she kneeled down beside the dog and kiss it's head. "You're going to be alright."

Josie smiled and watched as Veronica picked him up and carried him home.

When they approached the front door, Elaine was sitting on the porch. "What's that?"

"We found a stray and he's hurt. He needs a home." Josie said to Elaine who eventually agreed to keep the dog.

Veronica looked at Josie and then to Elaine. "Okay, but you're both responsible for it and tomorrow we will go to the store. But for now, we should clean him up and make him comfortable." Elaine said.