Chapter 12

12| Anchor

REYNA'S HEAD SPUN AS SHE LANDED SWIFTLY ON HER FEET

REYNA'S HEAD SPUN AS SHE LANDED SWIFTLY ON HER FEET. Bellamy fell shortly after her, the grounder taking a step back to give him space. Her heart beats so wildly she thought it might rip free from her chest. The information they had gathered was now a storm of panic flashing in her mind, spiraling her thoughts deep into the wrong what if's possible.

What if Clarke and Raven didn't hear what they gathered, didn't get the warning to her people? What if Clarke was too late and the last thing her sister will see would be a flash of blinding light? What if warning her people will only make things worse? Reyna had no idea how many of those so called missiles they had, what other technological weapons they had collecting dust somewhere in this Hell of a mountain.

Reyna had to lean against the cool metal wall of the large vent they jumped down into to keep her steady. For her knees were wobbly as her panic swept into her blood and her worry jellied her muscles. Her heart pounded in her ears so harsh and loud that she didn't hear Bellamy ask Raven and Clarke if they heard the information.

Reyna has never felt this... this pure terror and horror in her entire life. Not when she heard the deaths of her parents that left Lexa and her alone on this planet. Not when Lexa's blood ran black from a small cut during training. Not even when she watched death stand before her, it's blade dripping in blood and gleaming in desperate hunger for more. Not when she watched people she called brother and sister be slaughtered like pigs on top of that mountain where the snow was blinding under the suns bright light. Where snow clung and soaked her entire body, her hair. Along with every spray of blood, becoming sticky and slippery.

Now her real family member was under the thumb of their enemy, and had no idea. Lexa wasn't squirming to get free because she didn't feel the pressure. But Reyna did. She felt it cave in her chest, dig into her shoulders so painful that they curl in.

Reyna didn't know she wasn't breathing properly until she found herself sitting. Until she saw her vision clear enough to find Bellamy crouched in front of her with a concern look pulling at every feature in his pretty face. When did her vision become blurry? When did the sound around her become so distant and fuzzy?

"—eathe Reyna. Reyna breathe. In and out. In and out. Just copy me. Look in, and out. That's it, nice and slow. In... and out. In... and out." Reyna follows Bellamy's words, letting his voice slowly bring back reality. Let his soft touch on her shoulder anchor her back to her body.

In and out. She can do that. In and out, she breathed. Inhaled deeply through her nose before letting it all out from her mouth in shaky shutters. Just as training from her first lessons taught her. How to properly breathe to keep her stamina running on a nice and steady slope.

In... and out. Reyna followed the rise and fall of Bellamy's chest until her own rose and fell with it in perfect synchronization. Slowly, slowly she felt the tight curl of her fingers piercing into her pants and cutting through the flesh on her thighs. Felt her toes wiggling in her boots. The squeeze of Bellamy's large hands easing her tense shoulders to relax.