Chapter 13

13. Reality Over Dreams

IT WAS COLD, AND YET REYNA COULD NOT SLEEP

IT WAS COLD, AND YET REYNA COULD NOT SLEEP. Her mind told her danger was lurking in every pool of darkness like a story parents told their children to keep them on their toes during long nights. She did not know what was going on with her sister and it was tearing her apart with worry and panic. Did Clarke make it in time? Is she safe, alive? Are her people okay?

Reyna wanted to believe in the best, to hold onto those thoughts that comforted her and hugged her with reassurance of Lexa being safe, sleeping soundly through the night. But when has such thoughts ever won over the bloody and horrendous ones?

Her mind rattled her with flashes of Lexa's burning body, Lexa crushed under layers of rubble too heavy for the strongest people in this world to lift. Lexa's lifeless body just laying in the mud somewhere in the heap of chaos, being trampled and tripped over by scrambling people who did not look to see there leader dead before them. Her screams raw of shriveling terror on repeat in her ears, ringing and ringing.

Lexa's dead body. Lexa's dead body. Lexa's dead-

Reyna stands hastily to her feet as those thoughts ate away her hopes. She needed to get out of this mountain for her own sanity. To see with her own eyes of Lexa safe and breathing, not a hair out of place. Not just hearing updates from a girl she did not trust, a girl who would rather kill Reyna than see her content.

Raven Reyes, a girl who Reyna tormented when her lover was up for the taking for death. No Reyna did not regret it, but maybe she should've been more... open minded. More understanding. These people did not lose people they care about easily in the sky, not like her people did. They did not have to look over their shoulder every few seconds, keep weapons in close range in places where you and your loved ones should be most safe. No, those people had it easy. They had food in front of them with a snap of their fingers, water to drink when they were parched.

Must've been nice to live in the sky. Not surrounded by things that wanted to kill you for fun. You make one mistake down here, and you'll found yourself decaying in the forest, bugs and plants eating away the person you once were.

"Reyna, why are you up?" The croak of Bellamy's honey smooth voice brought Reyna back to reality and away from the poisonous thoughts whipping around in her mind. She pauses in her pacing and slowly withdrawals her hands out of her now knotted up hair. Bellamy slowly sat up from the make-shift bed Maya had made for him out of white towels and rolled up porcelain white sheets she claims no one will miss. Her own was stuffed into her own corner of the abandoned room Maya has also claimed no one will miss for it hasn't been used in quite some time. The proof of her claim was the spiderwebs whisking in the corners they had to brush away. The dust piles scattered all around on the freezing cement ground had her sneezing a lot, which earned a few chuckles from Bellamy that earned him warning glares.