Burden

Atsumu x reader

(Y/N POV)

I smiled at the flurry of dandelions that flew past my classroom window. I leaned my chin against my palm as my attention to my teacher dissipated and I fell much deeper into thought. The sun was fully out as many clouds added to the sky's complexity. Being placed in one of the classes at the top floor in the tallest school building, I could overlook everything from my desk next to the window. Since the classroom's AC unit was down, my teacher opened the windows, allowing a light breeze trickle in.

"Y/N, are you listening?" I snapped back to reality and quickly turned to see my teacher going over English grammar rules. Having grown up with both English and Japanese, I could easily tell that the usage of "there" in the first sentence was incorrect. Much to Mrs. Sasaki's dismay, I pointed it out in a heartbeat. Judging by her reaction I assumed that she was asking the class which sentence was incorrect and why. It was a simple deduction really. After a couple of minutes, I turned my head back to the window to enjoy the lovely scenery. My heart rate slowed a bit as my breath caught itself and my eyes softened. I let out a soft sigh of relief as I cleared my mind.

After a while, the bell finally rang and released us from class. I quickly packed up my belongings and hurried off to the gymnasium in order to not be late. Though I did enjoy my placement during class, I cursed it for the remainder of my days. I had to climb down multiple flights of stairs and rush to the other side of the campus in the span of five minutes.

"I'm here! I'm on... time," I breathed out, using the door frame as support. I was able to reach my destination two minutes early, which was better than usual.

"You know you don't have to sprint. It's okay if you are a bit late," sighed Aran.

"No, no. It's quite alright. I need the exercise anyways," I mustered a smile despite my exhaustion.

Soon practice began and I began my duties as their manager. This was one of my favorite parts of the day as I was given the opportunity to spend time with all those who I was friends with.

"Someone seems happier than usual. Something happened?" I looked up from filling waters to see Atsumu smirking at me.

"Did anyone ever tell you that curiosity killed the cat?" I responded.

"Good thing I'm not a cat."

"Oh right. Please excuse my wording, Barry the Bee Benson."

"Wow. You're never going to let me live that down, are you?"

"I don't plan too."

"Everyone, get back to practice!" I looked over as it appeared the break was over. I felt bad that some of the team wasn't able to get their water but they'll live. Practice went on and before I knew it, we had all finished cleaning up. I sigh, wishing that there was more time but I had to embark on my way home. Unfortunately for me, I lived on the other side of town. I waved goodbye to the team as I sat down on my train. I had about a thirty minute train ride and thankfully I was the last stop so I wouldn't have to worry about missing it. I pulled out one of my novels as I read the rest of the way. After the train came to a halt, I put my things away and began a small hike up to my house. It was a lonesome journey as I followed the lantern pathway up the hill.

"I'm home!" I yelled after closing the door behind me. I waited a second before accepting the silence that seemed to live with me. I picked up the frame that held my family dearly inside. My brother, mother, and father all wore wide, sincere smiles. The ones that a person could never forget and find comfort in. I too tried to hold a smile as tears slipped down my cheeks. I never cried in front of others, but when I was alone I could cry as much as I wished and nobody would know. I missed my family more than anyone would ever know but life is never fair. My aunt took me in after they died in a plane crash and yet she never wanted to look at my face. She claimed she could only see my mother when she looked at me. That was before she purchased a house here for me to live out my days. Though she paid all the bills and everything, I never even talked to her over message. Only monthly calls to make sure I'm doing alright. I suppose I'm meant to be alone. Secluded on a beautiful hill that overlooks the city. My heart ached as I placed the frame back where it originally was. I slowly made my way upstairs before finishing my homework and heading to bed. I felt too drained to make myself a proper dinner so I concluded that a piece of toast and a plum was all I needed. I laid on my back, staring at my bedroom ceiling as I began to recall my day. Slowly but surely my eyes began to close as I reached the peak of my exhaustion.