End of a Chapter

Yachi x Reader

Yachi x Reader

(Y/N POV)

"Y/N, whatcha thinking about?" I looked up to meet the gaze of Yachi before shaking my head.

"I can't remember," I sighed, giving her a sincere smile. Her face flushed before she continued explaining to me what I had missed the previous day. I followed along, scribbling notes down quickly before turning the page. After about another ten minutes we both closed our notebooks and began to pack up. School was ending and we planned to hang out at her place to study more for finals which were in a couple of days.

"Hey Yachi? Do you want to stop by a boba shop before heading to your house?" I questioned. I wanted to get some boba and it was on the way. Yachi nodded cheerfully as we began our descent down the stairs.

We sat down at a small table outside of the tiny shop as we indulged ourselves in the sweet drink and conversed in trivial matters regarding the boy's volleyball team and shows that we were currently obsessed with. The autumn leaves followed a calming breeze, gently fluttering past us as we enjoyed ourselves. The aroma of the tea filled my nostrils as I finished my cup.

"Y/N, do you have an idea on where you want to go after graduation?"

Her question, she usually asked this, once again stumped me. My mind always shuttered at the thought of leaving high school and heading into what people considered to be the real world. My uncertainty tended to get the better of me and my mind couldn't choose a clear path to follow. Nothing that interested me seemed to be a steady option. Every dislike I had was a better bet and to be honest the possibilities that the world held was unsettling.

"I'm working on it," I concluded. The now empty boba cup fell from my fingers and landed with a slight thump into the trash can by the door.

"I've knocked out anything science based, though," I continued. Yachi chuckled at my words, picturing my mother's angered face. My mother wanted me to be a rich archaeologist or a surgeon on the battlefield. She made it very clear at a young age that she wanted me to be famous and life changing. She studied marine life and was away quite a bit but made my childhood one of no worries when it came to currency. Still, she was barely a parent at all. She was home an average of a month per year. It was basically like living in a luxurious house alone. It felt empty and way too large for my tastes. To be fair, it was better than nothing. The bills were always paid, she sent home gifts, she called once a week to check up on me, and she even hired a housekeeper to come by every three days to make sure I wouldn't have to constantly take time to clean the giant house.

"Y/N, let's stop by that small bookstore while we are on our way to my house," She beamed. I understood what she was implying. One of our all time authors favorite had recently released his new novel and it was supposed to have been delivered to Fables, the small bookstore with a cute, cottage core theme. They sold novels at low prices as well as desserts. Our steps were in sync as we hurried over to the shop. It wasn't a very far distance from our route. I could smell the calming fragrance that consumed the store from where I was already. We stood at the crosswalk waiting for the white light to shine which would signal us to walk across.

"I'm not feeling so well so let's not take too long this time," Yachi said while rubbing her right temple.

"Oh no! I hope you aren't coming down with something," I responded while my hand grasped the handle of the door. I rubbed her on the back for a second before I asked the worker about the new books that arrived. I glanced over at Yachi to see her complexion far more pale than it should have been. Before I could do anything she nodded at me to continue talking to the kind lady working at the store. We talked for a minute longer before she left to check the back.

"I'll be right back. I have to use the restroom," I told Yachi.

"Take your time," She responded. I lightly patted her shoulder before I walked away

As I washed my hands I heard screaming up from the front of the store. I ran out there to see what the commotion was about. As I reached the front my face paled. My best friend was laying on her side, her golden locks sprawled out around her, and her arms out in front of her bent at obtuse angles. "Call an ambulance!" I yelled at the only other lady in the store. She desperately picked up the phone while I bent down to see if she was breathing. I heard nothing. I checked for a pulse and felt nothing. I lightly turned her over and started to press up and down on her chest, trying to perform CPR.

"Breathe Yachi! Breathe!" I yelled.

As I started officers rushed through the door and pulled me off. Tears streamed down my cheeks as they tried their best to save her.

Their attempts were in vain. Yachi didn't live past that day. Later it was revealed that she had lymphoma, a type of cancer, which caused her heart to fall under cardiac arrest. Her mom had died from cardiac arrest only a couple years earlier so now I was the one who was in charge of her funeral and everything she left behind. She wished to be cremated just like her mother. I wasn't surprised by her decision. Still, her urn stared at me from it's spot on the opposite side of the couch with nothing but a silent glisten from the shiny lid that caught the eye of the sunlight behind it. I picked the jar up, its delicate smoothness pressed to my arms as my eyes watered once more. I was left with nothing left to live for in this world. Without thinking my feet dragged behind me as I left my empty, lonely house. I dragged my feet along the side of the road, an urn clutched closely to my chest as I painfully kept walking forward, memories flooding into my shattered mind as I barely concentrated on moving my heavy feet forward. My legs were shaky and so was my breathing. I looked up at the sky, cursing everything for allowing us to suffer in this god awful way. I paced my way to the cliff side that looked over the town. It was our favorite spot to go to on stressful days. It still held it's beauty from what I remembered. I looked at the urn. My heart felt like it was sinking but I knew that I had to let her go. It hurt so much to open the lid. Still, I grabbed the urn and threw the ashes out and watched the wind blow them away into the sunset. My lips curved into a slight smile as I watched the ashes blow, but soon I broke down. My heart felt like it shattered into billions pieces. I fell to my knees as the sun set completely and left me in the complete dark.

"Y/N..." I looked behind me to see lights shining on me. It was Kageyama who spoke in a softer tone than usual. Then I saw the outline of the rest of the team behind him. He bent down and embraced me into a tight yet relaxing hug. I grasped onto his back and cried harder. He waited for a bit while rubbing circles into my back.

"I know that you loved her. You had the strongest bond with her. I am so sorry for your loss," He said. Despite how out of character it was for him, it was apparent that he had experienced something similar. I cried harder. I didn't want to lose her but I wasn't being given an option.

Yachi...

...I love you.

Author's Note: It's been quite some time. Sorry about that. I'll try to update from now on but I hope you all are doing well! Also I just killed off best girl (Don't come at me Kiyoko lovers). That hurt me to write. I wrote it anyways though. Lol. Anyways, I'll see ya in the next write and don't be afraid to request anything!

Word count: 1466