Home is where the heart is

"Anna!"

I opened my eyes and terribly blinding light flooded my vision completely. It didn't take long for me to realize that I was in a hospital room.

"This is not the first time someone calls me with the name of another woman, but it is the first time that it happens to me while I am dressed."

I knew that voice. And it wasn't Anna's.

"Silje... have you seen Anna? Do you know where she is?"

"I don't think I know any Anna. How you feel?"

I completely ignored her question. I wasn't very interested in my health anyway. I just wanted to know about Anna.

"Haven't you seen her? Who brought me here?"

"A helicopter. A trekking guide found you lying in the middle of the forest and called the emergency number."

"On the forest?"

I didn't quite know why, but something shrank inside of me.

"Yes. With a tremendous infection."

"An infection... And... I was alone?"

"They said that, yes. What do you care about? Who's that Anna?"

"Anna is..."

A lot of blurry images and sensations swirled in my head as I searched for the answer to that question. Obviously, Anna was... Who was Anna?

"I... I dunno..."

I grabbed my head with both hands fighting to regain the memory of what I knew was the most important thing in my life. I needed to know where she was; I needed to know how she was; and I needed to know who she was.

"Hey, don't be mortified. It must have been a dream. The doctors told me that you had been delirious."

"Delirious? Anna's not a delirium..."

I looked into her eyes desperate and searching for understanding and what I found was a pitying grimace.

"They said that you had already gotten rid of the worst of the infection and that they would release you as soon as you woke up. Do you want to come to my house until you feel a little healthier?"

"No, thanks. There's no need to that."

"You know, someday you'll have no choice but to let people come to you."

"I gotta find Anna."

"I'm going to talk to the doctor and I'm going home. Please, don't turn up half-dead around again, will ya? Don't spend your life looking for a mirage."

I didn't answer and he didn't seem to expect me to.

"See you Monday at work."

"At work? They fired me, remember?"

"So much are you looking forward to vacation? Don't play hooky!"

She was out the door before I could understand what was going on, and, shaking my head, I tried to focus on what was important. Anna. I tried to get up, but the intravenous drip was holding me back. I waited more and more nervous until the doctor arrived and pretended calm and sanity like a professional actor. Then, the moment I was free from the drip and dressed, and he signed my discharge, I shot out the door in desperate search of someone whose voice, face, or connection with me I couldn't remember. I didn't know who she was, but I knew I needed her.

I ran like crazy up and down the city in search of the unknown and couldn't find a single clue of what it was what I was looking for. I entered each place and I could only feel a chill as I passed the pizzeria. I walked the docks and knew that she had been there, but was unable to reach the memory of her. Night came and the streetlights came on and they caught me; there was something important about them, but I couldn't figure out what either. Then, as if looking at me with an air of superiority, the castle raised before me. I was nailed to the site. I had never entered that place in my whole life, but I knew exactly how it was like inside. It was an inaccessible place and it felt like a second home. What was it all about? What was happening to me? Fuck! Who was Ana?!