Helping and Hurting

Lucas Marshall sat in his apartment staring off into the distance. His coffee mug was long discarded, but he was awake well enough. Most of the Juniors in college were not lucky enough to have their own flats, but Lucas was from a particularly well off family, that rented him a place not far from campus where he could be self sufficient.

Or perhaps so they didn't have to worry about him.

Either way, Lucas didn't care. He wasn't close with his family and never had been. The sleek glass building he could fill with his own belongings was as good as his cold and sterile mansion where he'd also be alone most of the time anyway.

Lucas spent most of his time alone. As a star athlete with loads of friends it was a strange reality, but Lucas never truly got on well with the lot of them. Most of his friends were just using him for something. It was for this reason that most of his friendships didn't last.

Perhaps opening up to people and showing vulnerability was just too difficult. Perhaps it was because of his parents that he was unable to sustain valuable relationships. Perhaps... Though that ignored the fact that it had nothing to do with his parents and everything to do with his former best friend, Vincent.

The pair had been like one as children, and Vincent would always hold a special place in Lucas' heart, even if it was painful to see him now. Lucas had been glad to graduate.. but he'd never expected to end up at the same college at the boy. The other boy seemed to be inescapable, and would pop up wherever Lucas wanted him the least, or perhaps wanted him the most.

Lucas's phone buzzed in his pocket shaking him out of his thoughts, and he reached down lazily to silence it, but it buzzed again in insistence. Lucas flipped the phone, and saw the name 'Ms. Chance.' The boy frowned, it wasn't often he got a call from Ms. Chance, but he felt a lingering duty to answer it, and begrudgingly lifted the phone to his ear.

"Hello?"

"Hello dear." A familiar voice called through the phone. Talking to Ms. Chance made Lucas think of the smell of French Toast, it made him hear holiday music, and picture... sleepovers. Vinny's mother was more a mother to Lucas than his own, and she made him remember the simple times, when he would be over at the Chance house nearly everyday. "It's been a while since we've spoken, how are you doing?"

"I'm well.. thank you." Lucas chuckled, "It has been a while, I suppose Vinny and I don't get along as well as we used to."

"I know... I'm sorry dear, I know you've had a difficult go of things, and I'm sure falling out with my son didn't make it any easier." Ms. Chance's frustration leaked through her calm voice. Lucas knew she still wanted Vinny to be the child he used to be, and had struggled through the whole growing up process. "You're alright dear? You would tell me if you weren't?"

"I'm doing really well, actually. I'm playing D1 soccer, so that's kept me awfully busy."

"Oh that's wonderful! I heard about that from your mother, I'm so glad to see you're reaching success. Speaking of being busy.... Are you too busy to do me a favor?" Ms. Chance asked, hope evident in her voice.

"Never." Lucas smiled into the phone.

"Well.. I got a new job out in New Hampshire, so Vinny will be dorming this year."

"Oh?" Lucas raised an eyebrow. The Chance's being separate was abnormal in his eyes, unlike his own despondent family. Something about it just felt wrong.

"Yes.. and well Vinny has never really been alone before, and I know he doesn't really know anyone, and I just.. I really don't want him falling into the wrong crowd, if you know what I mean. Besides, I know you used to get along so you must have some things in common, and I was wondering if you might be willing to keep an eye out for him?" Ms. Chance rambled.

"Hmm." Lucas chuckled, remembering Vinny's stubbornly independent streak, "He's not going to like that."

"He doesn't know what's good for him." Ms. Chance stated firmly. "You don't have to go out of your way or anything, and I understand if you don't feel comfortable, but-"

"I'll do it."

"Really?" Ms. Chance confirmed.

"Of course. I owe you guys everything." Lucas stated honestly, "If anything, it'll be nice to see Vinny again, even if he doesn't want to see me."

"He will." Ms. Chance affirmed. "In time... I have a mother's intuition."

"Oh?" Lucas laughed. "Well, you've never steered me wrong before, so I'm inclined to believe you."

"That's a good answer. I should be going, it was nice chatting with you dear. You call me soon, don't wait so long next time."

"I won't."

"Don't. If you want to give updates, if you need anything, or even if you just want to talk." Ms. Chance insisted.

"Okay. Goodbye." Lucas closed with a smile. Anytime he was feeling down, the Chance family seemed to cheer him out of his slump. Lucas let the phone slip from his hands loosely onto the table, and fluffed his hair. Vinny and his relationship was a strange one, and having to spend time together was really only going to make that a lot worse. Still, Lucas enjoyed Vinny's company, and if the other boy could warm back up to him, he wouldn't object.

No. Lucas thought, Don't get your hopes up like that. You're setting yourself up for failure. Lucas was doing it as a favor to Ms. Chance, as repayment for her kindness. It was nothing more, nothing other than a kind gesture towards an old friend. Just a few months to get the boy settled, and then off his separate way as it should be.

The sooner Lucas checked up on Vincent, the sooner he could put it out of his mind forever and finally move on. If he was careful it could be final closure, or if he wasn't, he could get back as stuck as he was when he and Vinny first let their friendship fizzle out. It was a dangerous gamble, but one he'd already agreed to and knew he couldn't resist.

(A//N) Comment down below your favorite article of clothing! Be it a shirt, pants, whatever. For me, I like sweaters.