Friends and Foes

Lucas had set out all the take out boxes on the table and moved the bags over to the counter. He was sitting at the head of the table, but had yet to start eating.

"Your breakfast, sir," Lucas joked. "Or lunch, I guess."

"How are you feeling Lu?" Vinny asked right away.

"I'm alright." His voice had a slight rasp to it.

"Hungover?" Vincent asked.

"My head hurts like hell." He complained.

"And there you were last night telling me I shouldn't drink too much, and how my mother wouldn't approve."

"I was right." Lucas groaned. "Drinking sucks. I feel awful. Aren't you glad now that you didn't drink as much as I did."

"Definitely." Vincent smiled. "I'm certainly glad I didn't get hungover."

"You know, I still feel bad that you had to take care of me.. I wish I could have made you the food instead of ordering it from some shit diner." Lucas explained.

"Oh? Are you cooking now?"

"A little bit," Lucas shrugged. "I've had to."

"It must be awfully lonely." Vinny thought aloud. "I'm sorry. I didn't.. I'm sure things are great, I didn't mean to suggest..."

"It's alright. It does get kinda lonely." Lucas looked around the large apartment. His parents made sure he had every comfort possible, but he never had their comfort, and that stung. "It's good to have you back, Vin. It's just.. I feel like I can tell you things I can't tell anyone else.. I really, even though I acted like a drunken idiot most of the night, I really enjoyed spending time with you again."

"Me too." Vinny agreed. "Aside from you acting like a drunken idiot.

"Hgh," Lucas winced.  "I'll try not to do it again. No promises though."

"Of course not."

     "Did you use my soap?" Lucas paused and sniffed the air.

      "Uh... yes?" Vincent flinched. "I'm sorry I didn't realize you were possessive over it... I didn't have anything so I just... I should have asked."

      "I'm not possessive over it." Lucas' face went blank. "Don't be sorry about it... I like it. You smell nice."

"Do I not usually smell nice?" Vincent's brows furrowed.

"No! I mean... no that's not what I meant. Yes you always smell great... not great. Just fine. Alright... regular." Lucas coughed and cleared his throat. "How're the eggs?"

"Very good." Vincent grinned. "But your toast is the star of the show."

"I should expect nothing less." Lucas joked.

The pair enjoyed the rest of their meal in comfortable conversation. To Vinny, it felt like old times, like they'd never even stopped being friends, and he was grateful for that. Discussing what went wrong would have made things awkward, so he was glad they both seemed perfectly content with avoid the topic, for the time being at least.

"Shit." Lucas cursed after he finished eating. "My car's still at Ryan's from the party. How are you going to get home?"

"I can..." Vinny paused. "I can call Hailey. I don't think she works until later."

"Oh. Yes, you should do that..." Lucas looked like he wanted to say something but held it in. "I'm sorry. I wish I could just drive you home."

"It's really alright." Vinny assured. "Oh, do you want money for breakfast?"