Mornings and Courtings

Once Marty left, the entire atmosphere in the room changed. All romance fled the air like birds moving south for the winter. As for the others in the party, they were unable to hear what the argument was about but knew their was commotion. It was the second time Lucas had gotten into an all out brawl with Marty and nobody was particularly shocked that the dark haired boy came in and disturbed everyone.

Lucas sat down wordlessly on the bed, his face perfectly masking his emotions.

"Are you alright Lucas? I'm really sorry that happened.. we shouldn't have... I shouldn't have..." Vincent wrapped his arms loosely around the boy, and patted his hair in a comforting manner.

"It is not your fault. I don't want you to think that was your fault at all. That was Marty's fault. I didn't.. I didn't expect him to be so immature. I'm sorry it happened." Lucas explained.

"It isn't your fault either. You don't have to apologize either." Vincent chuckled.

"I do though. I'm sorry you had to see me like that, I'm sorry you had to hear me swear... I didn't want.. that's exactly what I wanted to avoid." Lucas smiled sheepishly, and took Vincent's hand in his own.

     "It's okay to be upset and express how you're feeling. You really shouldn't try and hold it in around me." Vincent sighed.

     "Thank you." Lucas' mask melted to reveal how truly drained he was from the argument. "I don't know how we move on from this... I don't know how I can stay friends with him. With any of them. He's just another snobbish rich kid. I'm so sick of them."

     "Rich kid?"

     "Yeah... just like all of them. I'm so done with it."

     "Marty isn't rich." Vincent's brows furrowed. "You thought he was rich?" 

     "Yeah?" Lucas' face betrayed confusion. "He isn't?"

     "No, Marty lives back the bridge. He lives in a trailer home with his mother and sister cause his dad left." Vincent explained.

     "I guess I just thought with him having such a fancy car and hanging out with all the other rich kids he was.. I didn't realize he was struggling... and then I went and called him a spoiled brat." Lucas let his hand fall into his lap. "Now I feel like a total jerk."

     "How could you have known? We had lots of kids from his neighborhood at our school, but I don't think they were really keen to talk about it." Vincent shrugged, remembering the long bus line from that district. Many catholic school students lived at or below the poverty line and used education as a way to break the cycle. Marty was probably the first in his family to go to college, and his family probably made a lot of sacrifices to provide him with that opportunity.

     "I know.... But he's my friend, I should have known." Lucas shook his head. "But I still don't think that excuses his actions..."

     "No," Vincent agreed. "I really just don't understand his issue with me."

     "I don't either. He never liked you, even back when we were in high school." Lucas ran his hand over his face again. "I'm still sorry. I'm sorry I was friends with a person who would treat you like that, rich or poor."

     "It's okay, Lucas."

     "From now on you matter most to me. I can't have anyone in my life who doesn't understand that." Lucas' voice slowed in exhaustion.

.... 

     Vincent awoke wrapped comfortably in Lucas' arms the next morning. At some point the night prior they had fallen asleep together, still in the bed and still in their clothes.