Chapter 9 - You said....

It was the afternoon after the attack yesterday. Gally had Thomas and Teresa locked in the pit until it was time to banish them.

Aria and Gally were practically ignoring each other now. She didn't mean what she said, but it was already in the open.

Aria meets with Minho, Newt and Chuck at the pit, to talk with Thomas and Teresa.

Thomas had finally woken. He seems normal. He talked normal and he has no signs of the Changing. The serum worked.

Thomas explained everything. Everything about W.C.K.D, why they were there, the Grievers and him and Teresa working for them. But he was willing to do the right thing. Teresa looked in disbelief.

"What do we do now? You are getting banished at sundown." Chuck asks.

Thomas thinks it over. "Me and Minho found a way out...maybe we can all leave. Together."

The group seemed uneasy but they agreed.

"Make sure Gally knows nothing about it. We wouldn't want him planning something." Aria says.

---------------------------------------------------------

Aria helps the gladers who were wounded in the attack, including Jeff and Clint.

After, Aria heads to her hut. She decides to pack some stuff in her pocket of her vest. She takes a look around, wondering what she'll take.

She walks around and looks at all the stuff she has. Her box full of training equipment, her scarf, her gloves for her training and more.

An item secures her vision as she goes to it. It attracts her like a magnet. She reaches and picks it up. Her mind recognizes it immediately.

The flower Gally gave her.

Aria picked up the wilted flower. It was still beautiful and memorable. Her mind wonders to where it happened.

"Aria, I have something to give you. Since we don't know when your birthday is, I got you this as a gift." Gally says happily.

He presents her with the flower that was behind his back. Her smiles brightens and she accepts the gift. Her arms wrap around him, hugging him tight.

Gally was in a moment of shock, not knowing what to do, then he finally gives in to her embrace and wraps his arms around her too.

"Thanks Gally, I love it." Aria says

"You'll never leave me if we ever get out this place?" Gally asks

"Your my friend Gally, of course I wouldn't leave you." Aria smiles and so does Gally.

Aria throws the flower out, she wipes away the two tears that rolled down her cheek. She loved him. But in order to leave, she had to leave him behind. She didn't want to, but she had to.

A knock is on her door, she opened the door to reveal Chuck.

"Hey Chuck, what's up?" Aria says

"Can I ask you something?" Chuck asks

"Sure, come in." Aria steps aside and let's Chuck in. Chuck sits on the chair in her hut and Aria sit on her bed

"Is everything okay?" Aria asks

"I've been thinking about our escape plan. Do you think we will all make it out?" Chuck asks while fidgeting with his hands.

Aria puts a comforting hand on his shoulder, smiling a little to help ease him.

"You know I can't answer that Chuck, but I faithfully believe that we can make it through to get to the outside. Just have to stay positive. Can you do that for me?"

Chuck nods his head and smiles a bit and goes to leave.

"Also Newt says the banishment is starting in 2 hours. Be prepared."

"Thanks Chuck." Aria smiles slightly as Chuck leaves.

She sighs deeply and sits on her bed. Wondering if she will actually go through with the plan.

---------------------------------------------------------

The banishment was happening, except Gally wanted to make Thomas and Teresa a sacrifice.

"Your crazy!" Teresa shouts

"Shut up." Gally says sternly

He looks towards Aria's way. She meets his gaze and quickly looks away. He focuses back at the matter at hand.

Before the two glader boys could attach Thomas to the wooden pole. He attacks them.

Newt hits a glader over the head, Minho points a machete at Gally and Aria roundhouse kicks and punches out 3 gladers to the ground. She walks to Thomas's side, but Gally grips her arm. A hurt look crosses his face.

"You said you'll never leave my side." Gally says sadly

"You went too far this time." Aria says. His grip loosens and she backs away to Thomas's side. Grabbing a spear that Minho handed her.

"Anyone want to join us? Last chance." Thomas says, looking around for any takers.

Jeff, Clint, Winston, Frypan and other boys went to his side. The rest stayed on Gally's side.

"Gally, mate, you can come with us" Newt says, waiting for his response.

"Gally please, you can be with us and escape this place and you can be right by Aria's side." Thomas persuades

Aria gives Gally a pleading look. He looks at the group. Gally stands tall and responds.

"Good luck against the Grievers." Gally says emotionless.

While the group turns and heads into the maze, Aria stays behind. Minho whispers to Thomas. Thomas nods and leads the group, Minho stays with Aria.

She timidly walks to Gally. They gaze at each other and finally Aria wraps her arms around him. Hugging him tight. Gally hesitates but slowly wraps his arms around her.

"I don't hate you." Aria whispers to him. He listens.

She meets his gaze and her hands travel to the back of his head. She pulls him closer and their lips meet. The kiss was passionate, slow and felt just right.

As they pulled away, Aria looks at him solemnly as she turns and leaves. Minho looks at Gally and follows her.

Gally stands there near the entrance. His face retorted into sadness and despair as he watches his first love walk away for good.