Chapter 20 - My dearest friend

As the morning begans, the waves crash against the shore. The cold breeze flowing and the sky turning to a light pink.

A hut near the ocean was calm and still and the couple was sound asleep.

Aria stays lied up in her lover's arms as he holds her close to him. Her back pressed against his chest, his arms wrapped around her waist. His breath on the back of her neck and her hand over his.

Gally wakes up, careful to not wake Aria. He admires his love, his fingers rake upon her skin gently. His thumb making slow circles on her shoulder.

He plants feather-like kisses up her back, stopping where her neck and shoulder meet.

She stirs slightly, turning her body to face him. His lips tug a smile as he plants a kiss on her head.

His fingers running through her hair as he keeps admiring her. Another stir comes from Aria and she awakes from her slumber.

Her eyes fluttering open as her eyes meet Gally's, a blush painting her cheeks as Gally leans in.

His lips touching hers as they move around. Dancing together to a rhythm. As they pulled apart, his hand finds hers and picks it up to press a kiss on the back of her hand.

"Good morning, Sailor" Gally smiles with delight.

"Good morning, Captain." Aria smiles back and lays her head on his chest. Hearing his beating heart go faster by her actions.

"I don't want to leave this bed. I want to stay in your arms for a little longer." Aria says as she buries her head in his neck.

Gally chuckles and keeps his arms wrapped around her. "You'll have to eventually, also I discovered something last night."

"Discovered what?"

"Remember when Newt handed you the little tube he was wearing?"

Aria sits up "Yeah, what about it?"

Gally takes the necklace from the table in their hut and opens it. Aria sees rolls of papers in it. All rolled neatly in the container.

Aria gently pulls the tan colored paper out of the tube. Letters, at least 6 of them. She sees that the papers were labeled by names.

Brenda and Jorge

Thomas

Minho

Frypan

Gally

Aria

Realization hits her. These were Newt's letters. She gives Gally the one with his name and she reads hers. Her throat tightens as a familiar emotion washes over her as she begins reading.

My dearest friend: Aria,

If you see this letter, it is unfortunate that I have passed and won't make it to the safe haven with you all. If you made it there (which I know you probably will), I'm proud of you. You continue to amaze me each and every time, and I'm not just saying that.

It has been 6 months since I last saw you, and yet nothing had changed. You are stronger and you are more determined. When I saw you there with Gally, you were a leader yourself. No doubt.

I thought I lost you in that lab, but I should've expected it from you. You love Gally. The more I watched you both for the past 3 years, the more I knew that it would take time for you both to bloody say how you feel. And yes, I do love you both as a couple; even when you both are sucking faces next to me.

Now, enough about that sappy stuff. Aria, you are skillful. You are an optimist. You are a fighter. The day I knew to trust you, was when you became a runner. You remember that day? I hope that you never forget that.

Please watch over our friends, Aria. And please watch over Thomas, I know he will be in great despair. Please tell him isn't his fault.

I love you as if you were my sister, Aria. From the first day I met you to my last, you are truly special to me. You're a fighter, and continue to be one. For me.

Love,
Newt

P.S. Never give up. And thank you...for being my best friend.

Tears flowing down her face as she reads the last sentence of the letter. Gally sits beside her and places a comforting hand on her back. She leans into his touch and as she silently cried. Her tears hitting the paper.

---------------------------------------------------------

Around noon, Aria walked to find the rest of the group. She held the letters in her hand. She found Brenda and handed her letter. Then, Minho and Frypan. All who was left was Thomas.

Aria found Thomas near the stone as he was craving another name.

Teresa

"She would've loved it here." Aria spoke, making Thomas leave his thoughts. He smiles slightly to her as she approaches him.

"Yeah, she would've. What's that?" Thomas points out the letter.

"Remember when Newt wanted us to take something of his? The little tube necklace."

Thomas nods

"Letters were inside of it, Gally figured it out. He wrote one for me, Gally, Brenda, Jorge, Minho, Frypan....and you." Aria says as she gifts Thomas with the letter.

Thomas takes the letter generously and reads what Newt wrote to him. Aria sees hints of tears in his eyes, his smiles widens as he reads the last sentence.

"I wish he was here." Thomas says as he sits down on the sand.

Aria takes a seat next to him and smooths down the dress she was wearing.

"I do too."