Prologue

March 21, 2016.

"...the case, after 3 days, is still unsolved... the victim's classmates are still unaware of what happened..."

The noise from the small television set echoed around the small apartment office. Darkness loomed over the space, with only a little sunlight coming in from the close-curtained windows.

"...the school's reputation and privacy are now at risk... parents start rallying..."

"Nee, senpai, the news sure is noisy today."

The assistant spoke as she brought in some tea and cookies from the kitchen. The clattering from the teacups was clearly heard as she slowly but surely brought them to the office table.

"Any news about that school is always like that, Ichika."

The man in the chair behind the office table reached over his teacup and sipped some tea. Ichika sat down on the small sofa and continued watching the news.

"I received yet another letter from that person again, senpai. Are you sure we should really continue ignoring it?"

"Certainly. I just hope they will finally stop bothering me about that case already."

"Well, it is obvious why they are calling you. After all, you are the best and youngest detective in history!"

"Youngest, sure. Best? I am not certain."

"Well say that in this newspaper." Ichika picked up a newspaper page and showed it to him, "'Ayanokouji Kiyotaka, the best and youngest detective, solved yet another murder case!'".

"But the murderer hid in a place he thought nobody would check. It is a matter of elimination."

The assistant just sighed while she slouched down on the couch in defeat. The detective continued sipping tea. Unfortunately for him, he almost spits it all out as soon as he was interrupted.

"Senpai! Somebody is knocking on the door!"

"I know, I know, just open it."

She giggled as she opened the door. The door opened to reveal a certain girl.

"Fufufu, a pleasure to meet you again, Amasawa-san."

"Oh, you are..."

"Tch. So they finally sent you here, didn't they?"

The detective asked as he was wiping his wet clothes. Ichika gestured the girl inside to the sofa. Putting her cane down, the girl arranged her purple hair and looked at the detective.

"It seems you have been ignoring our letters, Ayanokouji."

"And for good reasons. I know why you are here, Sakayanagi Arisu."

"You know personally I don't want to go here since... you know why."

She looked around the room, stating the obvious.

"You want tea, Sakayanagi-senpai?" Ichika said as she put down a cup of tea in front of her.

"Thank you so much." Arisu gladly picked it up, "So, Ayanokouji, may I ask, what is the reason that you are so hesitant about taking up this case?"

"You of all people should know why."

Arisu sighed, "Even after middle school, you are still like that?"

"Senpai will always be senpai." Ichika commented, "He never had many fond memories of that place."

"Nor do I remember any memories of it. I instinctively removed all of it in my head."