Case 2.1

April 11th, 2016

Afternoon

"Yes, Ayanokouji, your suspicions are correct... I am from White Room."

"So the murder of Sakura Airi was really plotted by you guys, huh."

Ayanokouji immediately spoke as soon as he was given the opportunity to. This is no time for dilly-dallying, he thought. This may be his first and last chance he would ever talk to someone like the person in front of him right now.

He might as well squeeze as much information as possible.

"Straight to business. It seems you have inherited a lot from your father."

"Weird you bring him up. I wouldn't be surprised if you bring up Mr. Watanabe though, considering how prideful WR is about their dear old director."

He obviously saw the person in white flinch a little as soon as the name was heard. However this didn't stop him as he continued to press on.

"Now speak. Are my suspicions correct?"

"..."

Instead of doing what Ayanokouji asked, the person instead looked at him straight forward. Although they can't see the person's eyes, they could still feel the ice cold glare from under the hood.

"Tell me, 'Detective', why do you think our agency would have been responsible for the death of a mere student of this school?"

"Mere? Is this how they told you to tell me how important Sakura Airi actually is?"

"Hm?"

"I can't imagine White Room of all agencies to do actions without reason. After all, we are talking about the agency who specialize in biological weapon-making and children enhancement programs. The same agency that the government poured a lot of hard cash into for the sake of this country's future."

"So... what are you trying to say?"

"What I am saying is that the only possible reason why WR would do such actions is that Sakura Airi is connected with White Room."

"Wait, senpai!" Ichika shouted beside him, "That is impossible. You already established from the very beginning that Sakura-senpai doesn't have special academic or physical abilities. Even her classmates know that."

"Ichika, that is true. However what I am talking about isn't whether she is a student of White Room or not. Rather, I believe... no, I know for a fact that Sakura is connected with someone there."

"Oho. You are certainly right. Ms. Sakura Airi is connected with someone from the agency. Now, the question is who is she connected to?"

"That's a good question. Who is Sakura Airi connected to in White Room? For the agency to even consider killing her, it must be someone who is high in terms of management and power. Someone who obviously has power over White Room itself."

"Who has power over White Room itself..." Ichika muttered.

!

"It is what you think, Ichika. After me and Arisu investigated the director's office last week, one of her friends told me something very important. It honestly shocked me, it is almost as if Sakura herself left this final message for those who really know the truth."

"Wait Kiyopon! I have something to tell before ending this call."

"Hm? I thought that's all?"

"I thought earlier that I would just tell you this tomorrow but I think telling you now is better."

"What is it then?"

"It's about Sakura's last name. It is actually...

Watanabe."

!

"Kiyopon? Are you still there?"

"Ah! Yeah, sorry about that."

"No problem. I hope this bit of info helps. Good night!"

"Yeah... good night."

"Watanabe?! That is the director of White Room's last name!"

Ichika exclaimed the obvious fact. After which, a cold, hard yet loud laugh echoed on the rooftop. The source was none other than the person in white.

"Hahahahahahaha! That idiotic girl really have told her friend about it!"

"What do you mean?" Ichika immediately asked.

"That girl was specifically asked by her father to never say her real last name. Instead she was asked to use her mother's maiden last name...

Sakura Airi is the daughter of the former director of White Room."

"F-former?"

"It seems my suspicions are correct. That was your goal this entire time. Your motives were clear from the moment I heard that one fact."

Ayanokouji explained his suspicions.

"Years ago, before White Room was created, the idea of raising children befitting of ruling the country in the future was first brought up by a scientist. A scientist who saw the potential of the youth in pulling out Japan out of its current problems..."