102. Profiting of dumb people

Racing in Japan certainly went better than in Sochi. Even starting the race was already an accomplishment compared to when we were in Russia. I was a bit tired during the race, as we had the qualifying session only a few hours before, but alright, it wasn't that bad. I qualified a respectable P8 and maintained that position for the rest of the race. The race quite bored me, since I had nothing to do but to bring the car home. Kimi drove many seconds behind me, but well, double points for the team, and those were always welcome. I followed a Renault throughout the full race, but I was unable to catch up. Joey told me that was because he was in the DRS range of the car ahead for almost the entire time. It didn't quite bother me, as long as Carlos stayed away from me in the championship I was okay with it.

At the end of the race, I inspected my car as Seb taught me to do since I seemed to lack some pace. I had amazing races before the summer break started, but the number of points I scored decreased a lot. Belgium went well, but after that everything went downhill. I'd make a comeback and my seat was secured, so no big worries, it just disappointed me again. So yes, I checked my car, and then Alex and George waited for me before we got weighed. We usually did that, we always met up right outside of the car, we did that since we were in F2 altogether. In fF, it often occurred that at least one of us stood on the podium, now that obviously wasn't the case. I scanned all the cars for Lando's car, but I didn't see him either.

"We're missing 25% of our friend group," I pointed out as we walked towards the exit. I glanced at the cars again, only one orange one in parc ferme. I also took a look at the podium, Lewis was back on his winning spree again. Seb split the two Mercedes cars. I didn't know why I even considered Lando to be on the podium. If that happened, Joey would tell me.

"He didn't finish the race," George told, fixating on Valtteri's silver Mercedes. As he did so, he undid the collar of his racing suit and tied the sleeves around his waist. "Engine failure halfway through."

"Again?" I asked. He had a similar issue in Belgium. It appeared that neither Lando nor I had a great second half of the season. "Poor him."

"McLaren is on a run though," Alex said, gesturing at Carlos. I actually didn't get along with Carlos, and no, not just because he was doing so well and threatening my position in the championship. A proper reason was yet to be discovered, I simply wasn't that keen on him. "P5 for that guy."

"Mate, you're in a RedBull!" I clapped my hands as I said so, "That should be your place! Where did you finish?"

"Sixth," he claimed. All right, sixth was still a respectable place. Except, if Carlos was fifth, Alex sixth and one of the Renaults seventh- one of the top teams must've failed to score good points. One point at most, since Kimi finished the race in ninth.

"Who's tenth?" I asked, but my question got aired right away.

"At least they scored a point," George sighed. He bumped against Lance because he kept staring at the Mercedes.

"That one is for Seb," I said, waking George up from the creepy stare.

"One day..." he said, full of disappointment.

"Did your teammate finish the race?" I asked Alex, I already pictured Max's face and the reactions of the Dutch tv if I finished in front of him. Alex said he did. Max had a collision at the beginning of the race and dropped back to last. "So... does he have points?" I urged.

"I don't know," Alex stepped on the weighing scale. After we all stood on it for a moment, we went separate ways.

I rushed towards the hospitality and chatted with a few of the people there, who were super happy with the double points. I got that, of course, it didn't happen too often. As I wasted so much time talking to people, I had no opportunity to change into team wear, which I usually preferred for my interviews. I mean my suit worked too, but it wasn't as flattering. Beth stayed inside the hospitality and Aisha took her role as my PR on her, like she'd done all season even though that wasn't on her list of tasks.