108. The tale about the chickens

I walked around with my bag slung over my shoulder as I followed Bethari to the Sauber hospitality. She rambled on and on about my schedule for today, I didn't listen that well. Joey for that matter distracted me as he walked next to me, chatting loudly about whatever came to his mind and making some unnecessary dirty jokes. We laughed like two little children, much to the frustration of my manager. Bethari told us to be quiet, multiple times, she couldn't take more of our bullshit and I knew it. Joey, however, didn't seem to understand it, or he intended to ignore her. I shook my head slightly as Beth tried again to order us to shut up. Eventually, she ran out of patience and decided to give up on us. I was done with her anyway.

"Daisy..." Joey said in a sing-song voice, "I have a proposal for you..." he trailed off and stopped walking, I hesitated, glanced at Beth, but decided to stop as well. "Let's call Katherine and go out for drinks tonight."

"Just us three?" I asked, frowning. The last time we went out was months ago, and back then we were joined by Blaine, one of Joey's friends and also a journalist I liked talking to, one of the few. Except I hadn't seen him in the paddock for a long while. "And I stopped drinking you know."

"That won't be a struggle, we can invite someone else, but can we tolerate them? that's a different question, yet very important." I nodded. "Look, Daisy, I don't want to spend my evening with people I don't like. I already do that stuff being here."

"Valid," I hummed. "Name people who aren't idiots and we can take them into consideration."

"I'm sure that's possible," he claimed, looking around and waving at a camera. "Well, it will be hard to find those in the paddock."

"Do you have a life outside of F1?" I asked him as if I was the one to talk about this. My best friend drove in one of the McLarens, my friend group existed out of fellow drivers and everyone else worked in the paddock as well. My other friends I met from before my career in single seaters I didn't speak to often.

"Excuse me?" Joey gasped. "I have a girlfriend thank you very much, I can't say the same about you though." I rolled my eyes. "Maybe we can find you a partner tonight! I'm sure Katherine would love to help."

"There is no way," I scoffed. "Let's just go out as friends, have a drink or two, without all the fuss of partners and hooking up." Joey sighed deeply. "I'm not desperate if that's what you're thinking."

"That's obvious, if you were desperate you would've been with Lando by now. That's an awful idea, so I'm glad that you didn't sink that deep." Excuse me? "Your friendship is worth so much, there is much at stake."

"I'm aware," I sighed. "Trust me on that one." I knew I overreacted, I just couldn't stop myself from making up millions of scenarios that made me walk on eggshells around him, the last thing I wanted to do. "Don't let Aisha get in your head though, I know she started this."

"I am capable of forming my own opinions," Joey said. "I'm just looking out for you. I need you to be fully focussed when we go to the Scuderia."

"No worries," I assured. "I have everything under control, and as I said, I'm not desperately looking for someone right now." Because I already found my person. "Don't bother to be my wingman."

"Okay okay," he chuckled softly. "We're going to have fun anyways, now who gets an invite and who does not?"

"Oh my gods we're so exclusive," I joked, pretending to be some arrogant bitch. Or maybe I wasn't pretending, as I hadn't been the nicest person. "If Kate isn't busy she can join us."