116. The final wedding

I squinted my eyes at the beach in the near distance. The guests were starting to take their seats as planned, and all decorations had arrived. It was almost time. I, along with Kate, the bridesmaids, groomsmen and her parents, waited inside the hotel for the start. I spotted some familiar faces in the crowd but made sure I didn't get seen by them. A thin curtain hung in front of the window, shielding us from curious eyes, so we wouldn't be disturbed by the guests coming in.

I glanced at the clock briefly, then instructed Kate's mother to walk down the aisle. She was dressed to perfection in a shade of purple, her hair neatly tied up. Once she reached the end and was only a small figure to my eyes, she took a seat on the first row on the left.

"And?" Kate asked, pacing around the room as I still looked out of the window. Her footsteps echoed inside the large hall. "Is all well?"

"Perfectly fine," I commented. "She took a seat."

"On the right side?" Kate asked, she spoke even faster than usual, which would concern me if it weren't her literal wedding day. Again.

"No, on the left."

"The left side is the right side, Daisy," she informed me, sighing heavily as she stopped in her tracks. "Lewis is up now, isn't he?"

"I mean, a man is standing at the altar... I assume that's Lewis," I admitted sheepishly, earning a small laugh from her. "We could turn this into a married at first sight episode if you prefer."

"No thank you," Kate replied. "Liz is walking from the side, is she not?" I nodded in response, watching as a figure in purple stood by supposedly Lewis' side. "God, I hope she has my ring. You do have Lewis' ring, do you not?"

My heart dropped for a moment, I hadn't given thought about whether I had actually brought Lewis' ring with me or not. For a brief second, I glanced around the room and noticed the velvet box on a table.  I went over to pick it up; after making sure that nobody was looking, I slipped it into my pocket discreetly. My dress had pockets, thank the gods.

"Of course," I told her as I gestured the groomsmen to go outside, side by side with the bridesmaids. Seb got degraded to a normal groomsman, considering Liz stole his spot. I felt quite bad for him, but he insisted it was fine.

I took a deep breath and glanced at Kate for another moment. I wanted to hug her, but I didn't want to crease her beautiful dress. To add, the skirt took up a lot of space, I doubted I could even reach her with all these layers of glittery fabric in the way. 

"When you arrive at the altar, you give your bouquet to me. It will look silly in the pictures if you don't. That hair tie needs to leave your wrist, by the way." Kate nodded and immediately removed it, tossing it somewhere on the ground. "I wasn't sure if you were going to remember your vows, so I have a copy in my pocket. If you need your vows, just look at me." I circled around her and fixed her veil, giving her a reassuring smile. "Have I ever told you I love you? I'm not sure I have, but I really do. I am so proud of you and..."

"Are you procrastinating your walk down the aisle?"  She laughed slightly, cutting me off. "You're on, Dais."

"I know, I know," I sighed, rolling my eyes as I smiled softly at her again. "I'm just nervous and anxious and excited. All of that in one package." She raised her brows and set a hand on her hip before she pointed at me and then at the door. "Yes. I'll go."

With that, I stepped outside of the hotel and focussed on the long way down the aisle. The sun shone brightly and a slight breeze ruffled through my hair. A few people turned around to stare at me and I knew they would have been able to tell that my eyes weren't really seeing them. As soon as I reached the altar and stood in my place, the music changed completely, becoming more intense and louder.