105. Ahoy ahoy

In the past two months, I have been on more yachts than in my entire 19 years, 8 months and 15 days of existing, which I didn't really mind. It was a good way to waste some time, viewing bits of the French Riviera from a distance. The sun shone, a soft breeze in my hair and racing other boats for no proper reason.

"We gotta chase down those old people!" Lando exclaimed, pointing at a much bigger boat in the distance. Lando knew his way with a steering wheel, but Charles was the only one with a boating license. So as Liz and I sat on white couches at the back of the boat, Lando and Charles goofed around. In the time we had spent on the water so far, I guessed I had about three heart attacks already.

"Some of us are trying to relax here," Liz said, rolling her eyes. Both she and I had fallen off the couches one too many times, simply because the guys were joking around.

"You're going to get arrested at this point," I added, talking to Charles as he was in control. "And I don't want to bail you out of jail a second time." Liz snapped her head at me. "Other than that he's a good guy, no worries." I attempted to assure her.

She let her sunglasses fall on her nose and went to lay down again, the sun tanning her legs.

"Mate, those silver foxes are getting away from us," Lando clapped his hands in Charles's face, making the poor guy flinch. I spectated the act from a small distance. Intervening was no option, I simply enjoyed the show. I tried to search for contact with Liz, but she appeared to only listen. "So? What are you waiting for, vroom vroom."

"Vroom vroom," Liz and I echoed.

"Brace yourself!" Lando exclaimed, jumping towards the couch I claimed. He plopped down next to me and casually wrapped his arm around my shoulder. He didn't even try to keep us a secret. A gust of wind made me lose my balance for a moment, Liz also steadied herself again. "I said, brace yourself, listen to me."

"Slightly underestimated this," I chuckled, glancing at the wake behind us, foaming waves crashing against one another. I opened an ice chest to grab three cans of soda, I tossed one to Liz and handed one to Lando. As Charles was steering and attempting to catch up with the old people, I didn't offer him a drink, but as the not-cruel person I was, he could drink when he got here. "Just slightly." I pinched my fingers together before opening the can, a hissing sound was heard but faded away.

"We're closing in!" Charles exclaimed, beckoning us to come over. I hopped to the steering wheel and climbed onto the platform, followed by Liz and Lando. In the not so far distance I spotted a huge yacht with two people sitting on it, both with grey hair. I assumed these were the 'silver foxes' Lando talked about. They didn't go that fast, but it was our main priority to pass them.

The dramatic overtake wasn't as satisfying as I expected it to be, but it wouldn't be the first time I got oddly disappointed by Charles. We only achieved floating in front of another boat.

"Quite a bit of an anti-climax," Liz sighed, raising her brows. She looked over her shoulder at the yacht behind us. I agreed with her, I found myself agreeing with her quite a lot these days. Maybe we had more in common than I first thought, but I still held a grudge because of the way she behaved on track and in the paddock. She might've been a few years older than me, but that didn't give her a reason to be rude.

"Sorry Charlo, better luck next time," I added. "Or you should stick to racing cars, not yachts, you're not so good at this."

"Thank you so much for pointing that out," Charles responded. "You also have a few things you're not so good at, do you want me to point those out too?" I had to think for a few moments, then I shook my head. I couldn't think of anything right now, so he'd probably call me out on something I didn't even remember.