Chapter 12 Home

Chapter 12   Home

As the German winter in November announces the darkness already in the afternoon,
YU and Sam see the setting sun at 4:11 p.m. when they arrive at Plötzensee.

They stand at the pier of the pedal boat rental and look out over the tree-lined, 740-meter-long lake. On the left shore is a light-colored beach. There are covered beach chairs at Strandbad Plötzensee.

A retreat for two.

Diagonally opposite on the other shore is a stone pavilion.

YU sighs softly and retreats back into his shawl.

"What's wrong, turtle?" asks Sam, noticing YU's disappointment.

"I hadn't thought about that. I wanted to show you the park.", YU's voice sounds muffled through his scarf, "I haven't gotten used to the dark in winter yet."

"Well, we can drive here after Monday's session. Then we'll have the midday sun with us. Is there a good place to eat? I'm hungry," Sam says, coaxing YU out of his cottage.

"I can make us some ramen soup. Got everything here and my place isn't far," YU gushes. As soon as he speaks, he hears a flicker of his heart. He feels the urge to retreat back into his little house. To make himself invisible.

He interrupts his seconds-long stupor and adds, "I mean, if you want. But there are also many delicious dishes of international cuisines here. I can show you everything and you decide," YU suggests.

"A ramen soup.", Sam says thoughtfully, "I haven't had ramen soup since I lived in Germany. In fact, I'll pass on any food that makes me feel a longing for home."

YU's expression is one of wonder.

He looks at Sam with his widened cat eyes and raised eyebrows.

Words finally follow from his astonished mouth:

"This longing. I only cook traditonal at home. To satisfy this longing, you must satisfy its hunger. Let the taste tempt you and relive memories. I'll go with you."

Sam's grin is instantaneous.

Wider than ever.

So wide his cheek muscles hurt.

Throwing the inner ache of longing outward.

Blasting his heart out of his chest.

He feels his inner stirring.

Locates the inner knot and wants to untie it with YU.

"Mhmmm, so the turtle can cook. Such a smart turtle. But you don't have to show off like that," Sam says mischievously.

YU's eyes sparkle in the darkness that has now arrived.

He faces Sam and looks him in the eye.

He is happy.

He will cook for Sam Lin.

He will accompany him home.

"I have every reason to show off. Wait and see!" he replies quietly, smiling sheepishly, "Let's go. I'm getting cold."

Sam nods and tugs on the end of the shell that's on YU's jacket.

They spend the walk to YU's apartment in silence.

They walk into Kameruner Street and walk past the old buildings.
YU unlocks the front door and walks with Sam through the stairwell of the front building to get to the door to the small backyard.