Chapter 49 Rejection

Chapter 49    Rejection

"Here's the key to Sam's apartment. You go upstairs. I'll go get YU.", Dieckmann told Österreich after they finally found a parking spot.

"Where the hell is YU? Are you going to be gone long?" asked Österreich worriedly.

"YU is at the playground on the other side of the bank. You can go ahead and make some tea. YU has been out in the cold for hours. I'm sure he's frozen through." replied Dieckmann coldly and ran off.

Leaving behind an inwardly troubled old man.

Österreich feels rejected by Dieckmann today.

He is so cold.

He doesn't know him that way.

He likes to mock. Makes fun of him.

But he is always warm. Usually he is always warm.

He looks after Manfred until he disappears into the park.

Dieckmann slowly approaches the playground and collects himself mentally.

He does not know what condition YU is in.

He has to be flexible and tactical.

Shake him up and stabilize him.

YU needs to feel his highest and lowest points now to make a way.

And Dieckmann hopes so much that this path will lead him to Sam.

He hopes so much.

And when he sees YU's black figure sitting on the swing in the cold darkness, he feels the excitement rising inside him.

He made a promise to Sam. He will take care of YU. He just hopes he can reach him.

Professor Dieckmann walks toward the swing and sits on the empty seat.

YU slowly turns his head toward him and smiles politely.

He looks pale. His lips are blue. His eyes empty.

"Professor Dieckmann, good evening," YU says, barely audible.

Dieckmann feels the hairs on the back of his neck stand up.

Surrounded by the darkness and the old, tall, leafless trees, an unseen man in black sits on a child's swing.

He doesn't look good.

And Dieckmann can't suppress the feeling of unease.

YU looks so dark. Invisible and dark.

Sam has seen more darkness.

His Sam has walked through the darkness with him.

And his Sam loves this man.

Dieckmann strengthens his defenses and tames the feeling of the uncanny.

"Hello, YU. It's already past midnight. You seem to have lost track of time. What are you doing here?" fumbles Dieckmann.

"I'm waiting for Sam," he gets as a curt reply.

"YU, Sam's not coming. He sent me to pick you up here. Let's go to his apartment and talk. Are you okay with that?" asks Dieckmann calmly.

"I can't leave here. I'm waiting for Sam," YU replies, averting his gaze.

"YU, Sam is not coming. I'm here to pick you up," Dieckmann repeats softly.
Silence.

"Sam is in a very bad way. I had to send him away. He won't come, YU. But he has something for you in his apartment. He made me promise to give you his recording," he tries to reach YU.