Chapter 29 Turning in

Chapter 29   Turning in

It's 8:57 p.m.

For the past 30 minutes, Sam and YU have been standing in the middle of the Sony Center, letting their eyes wander over the ensemble of impressive architecture. And the many details, nooks and crannies reveal more and more thoughtful refinements.

YU's big cat eyes soak up all the details. The various ways of lingering, enjoying, consuming in the eternal light show themselves to YU in large and small lettering in all shapes and colors of enticement.

Sam squints over at YU, enjoying the single sight that has taken him in.

He's been here countless times. An impressive self-evidence of Berlin.

And YU's enchanted gaze makes Sam feel a delight of happiness inside him.

He lives in Berlin. He loves Berlin. And he shows Berlin.

YU.

The turtle who has lived in Berlin for eight years and only knows a little house.

Sam grins.

"Come on, turtle, let's turning in somewhere!" grumbles Sam to YU.

YU turns his bright eyes to the deep, sexy voice.

"Let's turning in somewhere, huh?" asks YU.

"Let's turning in somewhere," Sam repeats.

"What does that mean?" asks YU curiously.

Sam suddenly remembers the day he first heard the German word einkehren (turning in). How he was not merely told the explanation, but shown the meaning.

"I'll have to tell you about that," Sam's eyes light up in fascination, arousing pure curiosity in YU.

"It was years ago now. That's when I was approached by my professor, my friend Dieckmann. Manfred approached me. He persuaded me to accompany him to Sylt during the summer semester vacations. His sister lives there. And he wanted me to meet his niece Janine. Who just happened to be my age. And yet also live in Berlin. Always spent the vacations on Sylt. A prospective teacher with the subjects German and fine arts. We would surely get along well. I should please accompany him. Allow myself some time off. I'd be blown away by the beauty of the island of Sylt on the North Sea coast of Germany," Sam says, disguising his voice as he quotes his Manfred.

He pauses for a moment and begins to secretly laugh at his German father's obviousness. He knows Sam's passion for the aesthetics of language and art. Knows Sam's curiosity for new places and breathtaking vistas. Sam chuckles to himself.

YU sees Sam laughing to himself. This bothers him. He feels left out. His inner expression shows openly on the outside.

And Sam perceives. While thinking of his Dieckmann's matchmaking attempts, he sees YU's penetrating gaze.

As if he's looking for something. Waiting.

He mirrors YU's expression and decides not to keep YU waiting.

"Well, I agreed to spend a week on Sylt. Really a beautiful island. The warm lights of the clouds and the cold-covered rays of the sun make a stunning contrast on the rough dunes of the beaches running into the horizon. And the thatched roofs made me clap my hands in a childlike way," Sam enthuses reminiscently, triggering a first in YU.

Impatience felt in the first time in his life.

He does not want to hear from Sam about the scenic excesses of the island of Sylt. Not now. He doesn't want to wait. He should finally tell him.