Chapter 13 A Journey

Chapter 13    A Journey

Sam and YU sit at the small table in the kitchen. The hot steam from the ramen soup rises into the air and settles on the window pane.

YU's gaze is fixed on Sam. He inhales the delicious aroma of the fresh ingredients, lost in thought. He holds the chopsticks in his hand resting on the tabletop and contemplates the fresh cilantro floating next to the strips of beef.

He feels a sad feeling rise up inside him, choking his throat.

YU watches Sam swallow the lump in his throat several times and takes the initiative. He guides his chopsticks into Sam's bowl and grabs a slice of roasted meat. He guides the steaming delicacy to his mouth and puffs.

Still, Sam's eyes rest on his bowl.

YU senses Sam's nostalgic wistfulness and smiles fondly, holding the cooled meat on his chopsticks in front of Sam's mouth.

"Sam, look at me." he asks gently, "You don't have to make the first move. Let me open the door for you and give you the first push."

Sam finally lands back in reality and looks into YU's mild eyes. Only then does he smell the fragrant piece of meat and see YU's delicate fingers holding the chopsticks in front of his mouth.

He closes his eyes and gasps at the repressed taste of his homeland.

The delicate taste of the spicy beef melts on his tongue and triggers an avalanche of satisfied feelings.

"Mhmmmmmmm!" it hums out of Sam with his eyes closed as he chews.

His deep growl is accompanied by YU's chuckle.

Sam opens his eyes and looks into YU's sparkling eyes. His face shines brightly. He is so taken with his joy that he still holds the chopsticks out to Sam.

Sam grins and snaps his mouth at the chopsticks.

He startles YU, who quickly pulls his hand back.

They both laugh.

"Does the slug like it? Is it starting to slime?" asks YU, giggling.

Sam smirks. His brain releases endorphins. The sad feeling is comforted with caring warmth.

"Delicious. I want more. But be careful you don't slip on my slime trail," Sam replies in a low, deep voice.

YU's joy bubbles out of him and shows through his wild giggles.

His eyes watch Sam impatiently.

And when he notices Sam patiently returning his gaze, he finally understands that Sam is waiting for the next morsel.

His heart skips a beat.

At last his gesture is seen, his care is noticed, his food is eaten.

He penetrates Sam's bowl again with his chopsticks and grabs the rice noodles and vegetables. The steaming delicacies are puffed on and cooled by YU, finally disappearing back into Sam's waiting mouth.

Sam closes his eyes again and lets his sense of taste take him on a journey.

"Mhmmmm, yummy. You sure know how to cook. I could get used to this," Sam purrs as he chews.

The silence moves Sam to open his eyes again. Astonished, he looks into YU's tear-filled eyes and falters.

"What's wrong with you?" he asks, concerned.

YU smiles and rubs the rolling tears from his eyes.

"I'm just happy that you accept my food. It's very healing for me." he explains himself, averting his eyes and casually continuing, "I made my first ramen soup when I was 5 years old. So I have years of practice. I'm glad you like it. Bon appetit!"