Chapter 48 Old friends

Chapter 48   Old friends

"Where are you going? Why are you in Rudow? Are you going to Schönefeld airport? Where are you going? It's 11:16 p.m. What are you doing at the airport at this hour?" Professor Österreich's worried voice sounds over the speakerphone of Dieckmann's Audi.

Sam squints over at Manfred to see how he reacts to his old friend's concerned voice.

"How do you know where I am?" asks Manfred dryly.

"Why do you think I got you that new cell phone? I can track you. It's a friendship app," Bernhard replies amiably.

But Manfred is not feeling friendly right now. He is annoyed with Bernhard. He's not a child to be tracked.

"That's pretty encroaching. You don't always have to know where I am. Take care of your family," Dieckmann's harsh reply rings out.

And Sam marvels at the harshness in his voice. But he agrees with his German father. You don't always have to know where the... . Sam interrupts his thoughts and searches for the right term.

You don't always have to know where the person you love is.

Sam's heart gets even heavier at the thought.

He gets lost in the thoughts of YU again and his face openly shows his sadness.

"Please forgive me, I was just worried," Bernhard says clearly offended.

"You don't have to worry. I'll be fine. I'll drive Sam to the airport. We'll talk tomorrow. Sleep well," Dieckmann says and hangs up.

A sad mood prevails in the car.

Both men take their time.

"You were a little abrupt with your friend," Sam finally comments.

"After tonight, I guess I'm having a hard time putting up a front. He'll get over it. He can cry to his wife, after all," Dieckmann replies, laughing briefly at his own tone.

Sam smiles and feels the resistance in him break out again.

He doesn't want to smile.

He doesn't want to leave.

He doesn't.

He just wants to be with YU.

Why didn't he just apologize? Surely he could have calmed YU down again. Why does he have to be so proud? For love, you just have to bend sometimes. He shouldn't have grabbed Nadine's shoulder.

"Sam, stop judging yourself. I can literally hear your thoughts. You're doing the right thing. Distance is exactly the right thing right now. YU needs to get away from you and work through his traumas. Then when he comes back to you, he's yours. Set him free.

And don't worry. I'll take care of him. Remember to call me when you arrive. My brother-in-law will pick you up at Sylt Airport. You really deserve to get some rest," Dieckmann reassures Sam.

"And give me your cell phone. YU will surely try to contact you. You have to resist that temptation. Let it go. I'll report everything to you. Keep yourself informed. You just need to inform all your subjects that you're taking a break for a semester," Dieckmann explained.

"Manfred, there's another thing bothering me, too. Mustafa, eh, I mean Hassan, one of my subjects, just had a breakthrough and we were going to work on it this Friday. I really feel bad leaving him alone now. Could you see him on Friday for the session and I'll talk to him on the phone?" says Sam.

"You need to take care of your life first. Talk to Mustafa or Hassan. He'll understand. This is the turning point of your life. Focus on that. I want you to be free. Be free, Sam. Let go of everything for the first time in your life," Dieckmann says, turning into the parking port of Schönefeld Airport.