Chapter 14 Desire

Chapter 14  Desire

It's not until they get up that they both notice the alcohol taking effect.

YU giggles to himself and holds onto the table.

Even though Sam is struggling with his own balance right now, he doesn't take his eyes off YU for a moment.

YU's wrinkled nose, raised eyebrows, clenched mouth, and silent sway from his giggles amuse Sam.

He wants to pinch him.

Tickle him.

See him laugh uproariously.

Sam really has to restrain himself.

Stand up to his alcohol-induced lack of inhibition.

If only he could avert his gaze.

"Is the turtle wobbly on his feet?" smirks Sam.

YU looks at him indignantly and with an effort to be serious.

"Not at all. Your slime just threw me for a moment." he replies, letting go of the tabletop, grabbing the pitcher and sake cups, and walking toward the door.

"Come, I'll show you the world of the man in black now," he calls to Sam.

Sam hurries over to the slightly swaying YU and takes the jug, which is only half full, from him.

YU chuckles again and continues walking.

Sam stops at the door and watches as YU sidles lithely around the small tables and sits down on the floor at the retreat next to his bed.

He looks at Sam and taps the pillow that is on the floor next to him.

Sam hesitates for a moment and looks at the maze-like paths that lead to YU along the various retreat little towns.

With a smile, he walks along one of these paths and reaches his destination.

YU.

He sits down on the cushion next to YU.

"Now you don't have a pillow at all. Wait.", he says, puts the jug on the small table and crawls to the next table. There he reaches for the pillow and returns.

"Very thoughtful. Thank you. Wouldn't have been necessary.", YU says timidly, making himself comfortable on the pillow, pouring them both sake and holding out his cup to Sam.

"It is my great honor to sit at this table with Sam Lin," YU raises his cup.

"I'm pleased to meet YU Teng's retreat," Sam toasts.

The now-uncooled sake flows warmly into there body.

"Then let me introduce you to all my thinkers accompanying me.

At that table over there, I give myself over to the thoughts of Fromm. He was the one who sparked my interest in German literature. I have been struggling with his understanding of love for years. It's a theme that has been with me all my life," YU explains as he points to the small table next to his library.

Sam follows YU's finger with his eyes and listens intently.

"That's where Freud immortalized himself. The father of psychology has cheered me up in numerous difficult moments. His intellect and wit never let a line get boring. I am an absolute Freudian. He's really brilliant.", YU chuckles while pointing to another table.

And again, Sam looks in the direction YU's finger is pointing him. Only this time, his attention is disturbed by a small twinge in the pit of his stomach. A brief moment of resentment. He's a Freudian himself, too, and thinks he's a genius, but he doesn't want to hear that from YU.