Chapter 47 Fatherly Love

Chapter 47   Fatherly Love

When Professor Dieckmann turns into Koenigsallee in the upscale Grunewald district, it is already 8:12 pm.

He opens the electronic gate of his magnificent driveway with a remote control and is happy to finally arrive home.

His large old-style house is waiting for its lonely owner.

And he knows that the numerous rooms he decadently calls his still bear the cheeky, witty expressions of his Persian housekeeper.

The woman who puts up with him.

His quirks returned with amusement and sophistication.

A warm-hearted woman who cares for her family as she cares for him.

Wants to patronize him. Cares for him.

And as Dieckmann parks in the garage and gets out of his Audi, he has to grin.

He recalls the moments when his Persian, temperamental housekeeper meets his best friend Bernhard.

How they snipe at each other. How they vie for his attention and approval.

He grins and shakes his head.

Bernhard is jealous.

He's really jealous of her.

Why is he such a blind idiot?

And with warm thoughts and a delighted heart, he walks thoughtfully up his few stairs to his large, grand entrance hall.

And freezes when he finds Sam huddled at his door.

An icy cold uneasiness grips his body.

"Sam, Sam, what's wrong? What happened?" he cries, crouching down to Sam.

He puts his hand on his head, which is sunk between his arms.

"Sam. Look at me, Sam." he says in a calm tone.

And when Sam still doesn't respond, he reaches under his armpits as if he were a child. He lifts him up to him and takes him in his arms.

And hears him sob softly.

And breaks at the sound.

His Sam. His little Sam.

He wants to protect him.

To show him that everything will be okay.

That he will take care of everything for him.

He should not be sad.

He is there.

And his old, wise arms are holding him tight.

Already show him the way.

Can share with him the insights of his life.

"Come on, let's go inside. It's cold. Let us in." says Dieckmann, not letting go of Sam as they go inside.

He sits Sam down on the sofa in front of his fireplace and starts a warming fire.

Then he sits down on the Persian rug, which is covered with numerous, daintily woven stories that illustrate the metaphors of life.

Sitting cross-legged facing Sam, he shows himself ready.

Sam sees his German father before him and feels loved.

It was only in a foreign country that he learned the meaning and scope of a father's love.

It was simply given to him.