•03•

"They look done," you eye the sweets as you stand before the oven with a mit in your hand. "Do you want them extra crispy or soft like they are now?"

"Soft," he bends down beside you, his face at the same level as yours, his blue eyes peering into the oven and reflecting the hot flame.

"Alright," you smile and grab the pan, pulling it from above the fire and then setting it on the counter to cool. "Do you want anything to drink while we wait?"

"What do you recommend?" He leans his lower back against the table, crossing his arms over his chest.

"Hmm," you tap your chin as different recipes filter through your head. "I can make a blueberry tea to go with the danishes."

"Sounds good," he nods.

"Okay wait here," your grin and skip out the door into the main part of the cafe where the tea is located.

Armin is like a breath of fresh air after living in a smog polluted city all your life. Which in a way is true and you're thankful for him walking into your cafe with that sky clearing smile.

You've been quite lonely recently... well no...pretty much the entire time you've been on this earth you've felt alone. Your parents keep you secluded from making personal relationships unless they're people they introduce to you. People they want you to be around. Other than them, the only other socialization you get is talking to customers. But they don't mean all that much to you. They come and they go and most you forget as soon as they leave the door.

But not Armin. He's been one customer you haven't been able to get out of your head. You just want to understand him better and to do that, you have to spend more time with. You wonder if he'd be okay with that? To maybe learn more about each other.

You pull the kettle from its hanging spot above a freshly put-out fire and feel the base of the object to determine if the water is still hot enough to make good tea with.

Finding it's the right temperature, you pour in the sweetener and the other ingredients. As you're stirring the dark liquid, the front door of the cafe creaks open, the bell alarming you.

"Hey sweetheart," your moms out of breath voice sends panic into your veins.

"Mom?!" You turn around quickly, knocking your cup over in the process and then fumbling to pick it back up before all the contents spill out. "What are you doing back? I thought you had to make dinner for the guests tonight?"

"Yeah I need some eggs, it seems I'm all out," she makes her way over to the door into the kitchen, obviously in a hurry.

You skip forward, blocking the entrance. "I'll grab them for you, no need to bother yourself." She shakes her head and places the back over her hand on your shoulder, then pushes you out of the way. "It's fine sweetie, I'll grab them."

Before you can make up another excuse, your mother is already stepping into the kitchen. You hold in your breath, preparing yourself to get yelled at for Armin being there. But it's silent...

The door starts to swing back, so you put your hand out and stop it, then walk in after your mom. You glance around, no sign of Armin anywhere. All there is in sight are your finished danishes and your mom.

You snap your attention back to your mother as she calls your name and walks towards you. The tightness in your chest that was caused by the fear of being caught is gone and a relief washes over you. But so does a sadness. Had Armin left?

"Did you hear me?" She questions with a basket full of eggs in her arms.

You shake your head, "Huh? No, sorry. What did you say?"