•20•

"We should head back," Armin starts to put everything back in the basket. "It's getting late and you have to work tomorrow."

You nod, even though you've been enjoying the solitude with Armin. No one has come and bothered you two and it's been calm and quiet. But Armin is right. You have work tomorrow and it's supposed to be an important dinner for Niccolo. He didn't say much about it, just that I need to assist him.

"Need help with anything?" You question.

Armin stops and looks around and then shakes his head. "I got this. How about you go back to the wagon and wait for me?"

"Are you sure?" You stay seated on the blanket and frown.

"I'm sure," he smiles and gestures his hand out to you.

You take it in your grasp and cling to it as he pulls you up. The warmth of his hand comforts you and you remember how he's always so warm. Even back in Marley when you were in the ocean. His hand on your waist underneath the water felt so warm. Even with the freezing cold water surrounding your whole body, Armin's touch sent a wave of sweltering heat over your skin.

"If you're not back in ten minutes I'll come find you,"a small laugh escapes your lips.

He gives you one last smile before you head back to the train wagon just outside the woods. It's really dark, but the setting sun is providing a dim light just from over the distant mountains.

You climb into the back of the cart and sit patiently, clinging to your dress to keep warm. You feel guilty for being so comfortable here. At first you felt like a prisoner, but you're slowly starting to create a routine where you feel like you belong here.

This isn't your home, no, but it's what you have for who knows how long. Armin brought you here to see this side of the war and you've been slowly realizing they're not monsters. They're just people defending their home.

What you don't understand is why Marley has been exaggerating the brutality of Paradis. From what you've seen, they aren't actively planning Marleys destruction. Paradis is just full of scared individuals just trying to live their secluded life on this island in peace. It's bad enough they've had to deal with the titans, they don't need Marley's army too.

The ten minutes pass and as you start to get concerned, you hear Armin walking your way. You strain your eyes to see in the dark, finding Armin quickly due to his light hair.

"Almost had to come after you," you sit up straighter and fix your dress.

"Sorry to disappoint," he laughs and places the basket and a bag into the cart with you before heading to the front to drive us back.

It's quiet again. Other than the slight breeze going by you as the cart heads back to Trost. Armin continues looking straight and you are stuck staring at his back.

You recall how you felt when you watched him walk away all those months ago. You remember how devastated you were when he ever came back. It's like your only source of feeling free had been ripped from your grasp.

That connection you had with Armin is still so present. You want to reach out and continue where you left off, but so much has happened and it's not the right time anymore.

Will there ever be a right time though...?

~

Armin leads you back to HQ, sticking close to you, almost shoulder to shoulder in order to keep people from recognizing you on the street. You're not sure how they would, but Armin is being cautious.