•19•

[NOT EDITED]

You're nervous. More nervous than when Armin and you were in the ocean, bodies pressed against one another, sharing a breath. Maybe it's because you're not sure how he feels about you anymore or maybe it's because you're not sure how you feel about him.

Your feelings are conflicted.

The eyes staring back at you in the reflection of the mirror are your own, just brighter than they have been in a while.

Ever since you got here your life has seemed to dull. You've felt yourself sinking farther and farther down into an abyss.

But Armin always seems to pull you back up just before you're consumed. His soft warm hands latch onto your cold ones, making sure you're okay.

You go ahead and finishing brushing through your hair and sit up straight in your chair, making yourself look presentable. You even try a weak smile, seeing if it makes you look prettier. But you don't know. You can't seem to focus on anything but the sound of your erratic heartbeat pounding in your ears.

Before you know it, there's a knock on your door. You jump slightly, but manage to stand up and reach out for the handle.

Before your fingers make contact, you take a deep breath and close your eyes. You want tonight to be special and you want Armin to be able to forget about everything that's going on.

You want to be in your own little world with him.

"Hello," you pull the door open and find Jean standing before you, dressed in a plain black long sleeve and brown pants. "Oh I wasn't expecting you."

"Armin sent me to come get you," he shrugs. "Are you ready?"

Jeans eyes scan over your features down to your shoes, taking in the different style. You are wearing a thin-strapped plain brown dress with a white blouse underneath and a pair of black shoes that were gifted to you.

"I am," you nod and look up from your shoes to meet Jean's gaze. "Why didn't Armin come get me?"

Jean steps aside and you shut the door behind you. "He was worried about being late since he had to go grab something." 

"Oh," you naw at your bottom lip nervously. "Do you happen to know where he's taking me?"

"Not a clue," Jean turns down the stairs. "Probably not into town though. Too many protestors nowadays. Ever since Eren was locked up, people have been rioting. They want us to free him because they think he's our savior."

Jean rolls his eyes at his own comment and scoffs.

"You don't agree?" You inquire.

"I don't know what I think," Jean sighs. "Things aren't like they used to be. I don't like the unknown."

You nod your head in agreement. "Yeah I like to know the outcomes of things. This war is taking everyone by surprise."

Jean goes quiet and you two end up on the first floor. You expected Armin to be there, but the entryway was empty.

"He said he would meet you here," Jean halts his steps and you turn your head back to look at him. "Have a good time."

Jean starts to walk down the hall. "Wait. Jean."

"Hmm?" Jean cocks his head back with curiosity.

"Could you wait with me?" You find yourself not wanting to be left alone in the empty halls of the headquarters.

Jean ponders on your requests for a minute and then nods. "Yeah I guess. I don't have a hot date tonight."

Jean walks back to you with his hands tucked into his pockets and his shoulder slightly hunched forward. He stands beside you and you both stay silent for a few breaths.