•17•

Armin didn't come back for dinner. He has sent Mikasa instead. She stayed for a moment, made sure you didn't need anything, then left.

So now you're sitting in your room. Alone. Again. Eating a bowl of bean and cabbage soup with a side of potatoes, apples, and a roll of bread.

It's the same thing you've eaten for the past couple of nights. Well, for the most part. It's usually soup and bread.

The darkness has taken the setting sun in its grasp and ripped it from the sky. Now all that's left is a cloudy night where the stars are absent from view.

You stare down at your open journal, thinking of anything else you might want to write down. You've seem to run out of words to say. After days upon days of overwhelming thoughts, you've finally been able to get them all on paper.

Well...maybe not all of them.

You're keeping your thoughts about Armin to yourself. Just by the off-chance that someone comes in and reads your journal.

"I hate this..." you whisper to yourself.

You hate all of this. Being here alone. Never having anyone to talk too. No one has told you just how often you'd be going to the restaurant, so until then, you're going to be hating your loneliness. Once you're able to leave the room and socialize with people again, maybe you'll feel better about your situation.

Finding that there's nothing for you to be awake for, you get ready for bed and do your best to fall asleep. With your inability to get comfortable and the restlessness you're feeling, you go ahead and sit up from your pillow.

The curtains are open, so you take a glance outside and look down at the courtyard. It's usually empty at this time of night, but you're surprised to find a familiar face.

Down below, Jean is sitting on a bench with his head in his hands. His shoulders are slumped and he looks rather defeated.

The Commander warned you not to go wandering, but you don't classify what you're about to do, to be 'wandering'. You just want to go see if Jean's okay.

You know the type of person he is. Someone who hides their pain from others and silently falls apart inside. You only know, because you yourself cope the same way.

To start, you slip on your shoes and a jacket. Then you go ahead and ease through your door and make sure there's no one in the hall. Once you see the coast is clear, you make your way down the hall and to the flight of stairs that will take you all the way down to the first floor.

From there, you just need to find a way to the courtyard. It's dark, the only light coming from the occasion warm-hued torch that are evenly spread out down the walls.

You hear a door open and a couple of guys in a conversation, causing you to dip into the room beside you. You quickly open the door and then shut it quietly behind you, not wanting any attention to be directed your way.

"What are you doing?" The groan of an annoyed voice is heard behind you.

You turn around in shock.

Sitting at a desk is the Captain. The short one who likes tea. Levi was his name you think. His eyes are narrowed at you in suspicion and in irritation.

"I was just-" you point behind you. "I um... I wanted some fresh air, so I was trying to get to the courtyard. The Commander told me not to go out by myself, but I didn't think it would be an issue since it's dark. But then there were people in the hall and I tried to hide...which led me here."

He doesn't say anything. He just examines you with a hard glare. You think he's trying to figure out if he wants to trust your story or not. If you were him you wouldn't.