•15•

"Arlert, how can I help you?" A man in a cooks uniform greets you in the lobby of the building.

You can't really call it a restaurant, because it doesn't look like one. It's like how Armin explained. It's just used as a meeting place for the military officers.

"I'm here to see Niccolo," Armin responds.

Niccolo... Niccolo... That name sounds familiar.

"I'll go grab him for you," the man turns, but Armin stops him.

"We'd like to come along. I want to show y/n the kitchen."

The mans eyes glance over to you and a flicker of anger reflects in them. You know that you're not welcome in Paradis, but you'd think people would try a little harder to hide it.

"Fine, come on," he lets out an annoyed sigh.

Armin continues to stay beside you as the employee leads you down a long hallway full of doors. At the other end of the hall is a flight of stairs and you go up them.

"Here," the man opens a swinging door which reveals the sound of sizzling food and the wonderful aroma of a tomato base pasta. Armin goes in before you and you're stuck behind him, unable to see much."Niccolo, visitors."

"What is it, Armin? I'm busy," you presume it to be Niccolo's voice that speaks out.

Armin tenses up and then you watch his shoulders relax. "Remember, I talked to you about brining in that baker to take care of the desserts. I know you have a lot on your plate right now and could use the help."

"If you mean I'm not at my best because Sasha is dead, just say that. I'm not into the beating-around-the-bush," the man spits. So he was also close with Sasha... but didn't Armin say this guy was from Marley?

Niccolo from Marley... it can't be.

"I don't want any help-"

You place your hand on Armin's back, in between his shoulder blades, then gently push him forward so you can enter the kitchen and see if your suspicion is right. Your hand lingers for a second, feeling the warmth of his skin. His temperature is higher than most. Maybe because he's a Titan shifter.

After stepping off to the side, your eyes land on the floppy haired blonde with a petite buttoned nose and brown eyes. He looks exactly as he did all those years ago when you met him for the first time, just older.

"Y/n... is that really you?"

"Unfortunately," you let out a sigh and approach Niccolo. He meets you halfway and pulls you into a friendly embrace.

You tend to make yourself seem more lonely than you were. When Armin came into your life you had felt as though you finally found someone you could connect too. It was as if you were no longer alone. But that wasn't always the case. You had Colt. But you also had Niccolo at one point.

~Flash back to age 10~

"I don't want to go," you shake your head. "Can I just stay here?"

"No y/n," your mom pushes the basket of scones into your chest for you to hold. "You're coming."

You know they just want you there as a cover for what's really going to be going on. They said they wanted you to play with their friends kid while they have "adult time." But that's just code for gambling. They met a couple at the cafe a few days ago and they invited them to their house tonight.

Turns out they live in the neighborhood on the other side of the city square. You parents load you into one of the small trains and head over just after seven.