Chapter 3: Fourth to Go

Professor Oak: Yes, and you are?

(Y/N): Oh, my name is (Y/N), and my grandpa's name is Timothy Hawthorn. I heard that--

Professor Oak: Yes! He was a close acquaintance of mine! I did always hear that he had a grandson. Come in, come in.

Professor Oak welcomed me inside the lab and offered me a seat. It seemed like he was researching a Caterpie.

Professor Oak: You said that your name was (Y/N)?

(Y/N): Oh, yes.

Professor Oak: What a coincidence! You met two trainers named Blue and Red yesterday, right?

(Y/N): Yes! How did you-

Professor Oak began to laugh.

Professor Oak: Blue, you see, is my grandson.

(Y/N): What?

Professor Oak: Yes, my one and only grandson. Red, however, was a trainer I just met yesterday. Quite a handful, fellow. Anyways, let's just say that both of them mentioned meeting a particularly skilled trainer named (Y/N).

(Y/N): That's me, don't know about the skilled part, though...

Professor Oak: Anyhow, what brought you to see me?

(Y/N): Yes, the thing is I heard that you were once the Kanto Pokémon Champion, am I correct?

Professor Oak: Ah, yes, good old times.

(Y/N): And I wanted to know, how do you become the champion?

Professor Oak: Well, it's both simple and difficult at the same time. To put it simply, all you have to do is win the Pokémon League held at the Indigo Plateau. If you triumph and win, you'll become the Pokémon Champion of Kanto. To win there, however, you'll need to be more than just an ordinary trainer. Before taking on the league, though, I recommend obtaining all eight gym badges.

(Y/N): Alright! I can do that! Oh! And also.

Professor Oak: Yes?

(Y/N): This is a pretty obvious question, but becoming the champion of Kanto doesn't mean you automatically become the strongest of Kanto, right?

Professor Oak: Well, if that were true, then you would be looking at that guy right now, but instead, just an old man.

(Y/N): Well--

I rose from my seat.

(Y/N): Time to start my journey then.

Professor Oak: It appears that you have a certain goal in mind, (Y/N). And based on what I heard yesterday, I believe it is an absolute essential that you have this.

And based on what I heard yesterday, I believe it is an absolute essential that you have this.

(Y/N): Hmm?

Professor Oak walked over to his desk and picked up a black device.

Professor Oak: This is what I call a Pokédex. A device that will record all the Pokémon that you'll meet in your adventure. It also contains a wide range of Pokémon-related data. It is, however, only for Kanto. Still, becoming a Dex-Holder will benefit you, I'm sure. I entrust you with this.

Professor Oak handed me the device.

(Y/N): Wow, thank you so much, Professor!

Professor Oak: Blue and Red each set out on a journey yesterday too. It looks like meeting you sparked something in them. They will also have the Pokédex; theirs will be red. Yours is a recently built one, thus the color is different.

(Y/N): Nice, I can brag!

Professor Oak: Well, you are now the fourth Dex-Holder!

(Y/N): Fourth? Who's the third person?

Professor Oak: It's uh... Quite complicated.

(Y/N): What?

Professor Oak: Now go on, young man. Go out there and achieve your goal.

(Y/N): Alrighty, once again, thank you, Professor Oak.

Professor Oak: It's the least I could do for the new generation.

(Y/N): Oh and also. I might try to ask you for a battle one day, so be aware.

Professor Oak: Interesting, I'll be ready.

I sprinted out of the lab and out of Pallet Town in a heartbeat, too excited to start my journey. All I needed to do was pass through the Viridian Forest now.

But before, I needed to meet one more person. A person who also resides near the Viridian Forest.

I quickly ran to the place where her home is located. Thankfully, she was outside.