Chapter 8: Ability

Vermillion City

The journey from Cerulean to Vermillion City was rather simple. (Y/N) just grabbed a taxi. 

And during the ride, the driver was kind enough to give him a gift. A ticket for the ship, St. Anne. He told that he couldn't go because of his daughter's birthday. Still, (Y/N) was uninterested until the driver mentioned that it was a cruise. (Y/N) immediately accepted it after he heard that.

Upon arriving, (Y/N) swiftly headed to the Pokémon Center to heal his Pokémons and the Poké Mart for the bet that he lost against Frogadier and Raichu. The two decided on getting some Oran Berries.

(Y/N) then hurried to St. Anne. Becoming even more enthusiastic when he saw the size of the ship and had his own room. 

However, as there was still plenty of time until the leaving time, he was on the deck with my Pokémon. Just enjoying the sea breeze, until.

"Thanks, Saur! Wait down there for me, alright?"

(Y/N) looked around and noticed a familiar face on his right.

(Y/N): Hey, aren't you?

The person turned around and noticed as well.

Red: (Y/N)!

Red had his Poliwhirl with him, and when (Y/N) peeked down where they climbed up from, he spotted his Bulbasaur.

(Y/N): Okay, I have a lot of questions to ask, but good to see you man!

Red: Same! Never expected to see you here.

(Y/N): Yeah, but like, what's the situation here? You raiding the ship? 

Red: I'll answer all of your questions, and I have plenty of my own. But right now, all I can say is that I'm working to catch a thief.

(Y/N): A thief?

Red: Yes, a Pokémon thief...

Red began to glance around.

(Y/N): A Pokémon thief, you say? Alright, let me help.

Red: Wait, seriously?

(Y/N): Yeah, why not. Do you have any leads on this thief?

Red: Oh, yes! The thief is definitely on this ship. Probably in a room nearby here... Oh, over there!

Red hurried to an open room and went inside. (Y/N) quickly followed.

Red: This has to be the room...

The two looked around but couldn't find anything.

(Y/N): You don't say...

Red: Hey! A Poké Ball!

Red picked up what appeared like a Poké Ball.

(Y/N): Wait... Isn't that a Vol-

Red: AAAH!

The Poké Ball started attacking Red.

It was indeed a Voltorb.

(Y/N): I knew it... Raichu, Iron Tail!

Raichu slammed the Voltorb away.

Red: Was that a Pokémon?

(Y/N): Yeah, Voltorb, an Electric-type. It must have a trainer, where-

"Impressive."

We turned around to find a dangerous-looking man wearing a military outfit and dozens of Voltorbs and Electrodes.

"I'm renowned around here for running a tight ship. We make certain that trespassers face serious penalties."

(Y/N): Umm, I just want to say I have a ticket...

More people started entering the room and began to surround Red and (Y/N).

Red: Pokémons are being stolen from the town! And we're here to find the thieves. Nothing else.

"And let me guess, you think we're the thieves?"

(Y/N): Uh, he never said that...

"Well, I'm quite angry that you think we are thieves. What we are doing is helping those weak Pokémon."

(Y/N): Did... Did you just admit it?

"We are freeing the Pokémon from their domesticated, unevolved forms. And if we earn some profit off of that, that just helps to do the good work."

The man began to laugh cynically.

Red: So you are the thief... You...

"Heh, get mad as much as you want. What can you do with only three Pokémon?"

(Y/N): All right, enough.

(Y/N) took a step towards the man.

(Y/N): I heard enough of your stupidity.

Red: B-Be careful, (Y/N)...

"So what? You gonna fight? You think you can take us all alone?"

(Y/N): Well, since I know who my main opponent is, it's much easier. Don't have to think that much. Oh! And just one more thing. Do you guys happen to know anything about Team Rocket?

"W-What..?"

(Y/N): Eh, it doesn't matter. Raichu!

Raichu: Rai?

(Y/N): This is gonna be a big favor, but do you think you can protect Frogadier and Poliwhirl from most of the Electric attacks?

Raichu nodded and stepped ahead of the two Pokémon.

Raichu: Rai!

(Y/N): Thanks, buddy.

"Let's fight then, if that's what you want."

Suddenly, a huge figure that looked like another Electric Pokémon appeared behind the guy.

"This is a mean one. Can't even get it into a Poké Ball, but... It's perfect for crushing Pokémons like yours! Electabuzz, ATTACK!"

Electabuzz lunged towards us with what seemed to be a Thunder Punch.

(Y/N): Raichu! Brick Break!

The two assaults clashed, but Raichu managed to boost himself even more with his tail and pushed Electabuzz away.

"Get back up and another Thunder Punch!"

Suddenly, the guy and the Electabuzz were startled and looked down at their legs. Red's Poliwhirl had used an Ice Beam and stopped them from moving.

Red: You can't run now!

(Y/N): Nice, Red! Raichu, now's our chance, use Thunderbolt on the two!

"No! Voltorbs! Electrodes! Attack the Raichu, hurry!"

The army of Voltorbs and Electrodes all began to charge an attack.

"HAHAHA! You're finished now! Attack!"

Raichu was struck by an insane amount of electricity. It was so strong that it blinded all of their eyes.

After a few seconds, the endless stream of electricity came to a halt.

But, the most unexpected occurred.

Raichu was simply standing there, unfazed.

(Y/N): Oh! Did I mention that my Raichu has this unique ability? What was the name of it again?

"Don't tell me... Lightning Rod..?"

(Y/N): Oh, yes, Lightning Rod. If I'm not wrong, the ability makes any Electric-type move ineffective. Not only that, it increases the Pokémon's attack power! Thanks, bud!

Red: Awesome!

(Y/N): So... What I'm basically saying is...

(Y/N) slid his finger across his neck.