Chapter 6 - Half Moon

The village is rather big compared to any other villages I've been to. Sadly the village is much closer to Kyoto as these lands are for agriculture and wood.

The landscape of rice fields is on the outer borders of the village as the heart of the village is a market for wood, livestock, rice- you know. There's a export import area which is restricted and the graveyard is near a forest and away from people.

So it's quite the walk to get there and you can imagine. A place for the dead to rest, but trees all around, in the background, no source of light when it becomes night- yeah it's kinda freaky.

"Well here we are. I'll start searching around the village and gather some intel. You and Kanao will investigate the graveyard. Any objections?"

Kanao returns Shinobu's questions with a smile and I can guess that Kanao has no objections. I just nod my head and go with Shinobu's plan.

"Wonderful. Stay safe you two." Shinobu becomes a shinobi and disappears because she's so fast. Okay that was terrible.

So it's uhh.. awkward. Kanao just stands there and smiles at me. I guess I should lead and make the decisions.

"Alright Kanao let's check out the graveyard and see if we can find anything. I doubt that we'll find anything, but I'm sure there's some witnesses who are afraid to confess what they saw."

It's expected to see some blood on some tombstones. It stains the names of those who lay rest, but there are some grave workers cleaning the tomb.

Let's see if any of the grave workers know about the missing person reports and murders around here.

There's an elderly women gently scrubbing a tombstone to erase the blood stains. She doesn't seem scared or shaken by anything and continues to work as if it was a usual day.

"Umm excuse me." I gently call out to her and I would expect that a elderly women to have hearing problems but she hears me just fine.

She has dark rings around her eyes which means that she is deprived of sleep, but despite her tiredness she has the energy to observe me. Slowly putting the cloth into a container full of stained red water and then continues to observe me.

"Get outta here.." The old women tries to shoo me away, but her efforts was in vain because it's not my job to flee. "I said go. Don't die like the others."

"I'm a demon slayer. My name is Y/N and this is Kanao. We're here to investigate and destroy said demon lurking around this area. Do you know anything about these missing peoples case or.. some demon or monster lurking around?"

The elderly women ignores me and goes back yo scrubbing a tombstone. Of course I don't waste my time and find other workers who are willing to help me, but they all try not to make contact with me.

They just look down or at the tombstone they're cleaning. It's all so quiet to the point that this village doesn't even feel alive. As I try to approaching any workers- they all just ignore me or walk away and clean another stained tombstone.

Kanao doesn't even try to communicate with the locals and the workers are ignoring me. What the hell am I supposed to do now?

I can feel everyone's emotional pressure. They're all scared and I can imagine that the demon is haunting these locals. Keeping their mouth shut from revealing anything or else the boogey man comes and kills them.

Since no one wants to communicate I guess I have to force someone to talk. This is fucking ridiculous and yeah they're scared I understand that, but I'm here to do my job as a demon slayer.