Σριlσgυε

"𝙰𝚛𝚎 𝚢𝚘𝚞 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚏𝚘𝚞𝚛𝚝𝚑 𝚠𝚑𝚎𝚎𝚕?"

The dry heat of  Texas seemed to fade away at night time but the sounds of the night were louder than the day. The moon was like a spotlight in the decrepit barn, the dirt from the floor blowing in the wind. It was the perfect place for a coven, or for an army.

Maria's Army.

"You made this difficult." Alex brushed a hand through his short sandy blonde hair. "All you had to do was tell me the truth."  His knife was waving in Maria's face, her black hair was falling into her face. Her red eyes shined through the curtain of her hair with the intensity of liquid fire.

"Alex, we need to hurry before her coven returns." Laurent's french accent cut across the barn from his spot as lookout.

"Why can't we just kill her?" James tugged harder on Maria's arms holding them in place causing her teeth to snap at him in anger. Trying to jerk away from James' tight grip.

"Then the entire coven would be following us for revenge. Plus, the game is no fun if she's dead." Alex pressed the tip of his blade to Maria's chin, lifting her face to stare into her glare.

"What game is that?" Victoria bounced on her toes, her hands slipping down his shoulders onto his chest, her nails racking against the fabric of his shirt.

"Well, my love, it's a fun little game of cat and mouse." Alex leaned back into Victoria's touch, but his eyes never left Maria's face. "When I win I'll be the most revered vampire of all time."

"You're full of yourself." James bit his lip and winked at Alex while Victoria's teeth pulled on Alex's earlobe.  "I love it." 

Maria began to laugh with her head thrown back. The laughter rocked her entire body and echoed around the small barn. Her actions made Alex's temper rise and his hand wrapped in her hair and jerked her head back.

"Is something funny to you?"  Alex demanded. Maria's face lost of her humor and turned into a look of murder.

"The Soldier is dead.  Even if he wasn't, you would not stand a chance." Maria's words held venom and when she was done she spat into Alex's face. Alex jerked back his hand wiping her  spit from his face. His jaw tightened and the anger swept through him, his free hand clenched in a fist. With a soft laugh he stood up straight, flipping the knife in his hand.

"I spent years developing ways to torutre vampires." Alex pulled his jacket to the side, showing the arsenal of blades on his belt. "It took a while to find the perfect weapon. My own venom."

"Please don't go through the whole story." Laurent complained with an eye roll.

"Long story short, I created blades that are infused with my own venom." Alex traced his finger over the exposed handles on his hip.

"It hurts like a son of a bitch." James leaned forward to whisper in Maria's ear.

"But you loved it." Alex smirked and leaned over Maria to press his lips against James.

"Every bit of it." Victoria muttered, her arms now wrapped around James' chest. Maria shifted her eyes to Laurent.

"Are you the fourth wheel?" Maria spat.  "How sad."  She pouted her lip out in a mocking gesture.

"I'm just here for fun." Laurent shrugged with a smirk.

"I'm getting tired of this." Alex tossed her head back, the blade pressed against her cheek. "Tell me where the Soldier is." 

"Dead. His ashes were scattered somewhere in south Texas. If you wish to pay your respects." Maria snarked with a devilish grin on her face, her blood eyes focused solely on Alex. 

"You have a very pretty face." Alex gently pressed the blade to her cheek.  "I would hate to ruin that."

"Just tell him what he wants to know." Victoria pleaded, her fingers brushing some of Maria's hair behind her ear. Maria was too focused on Alex to even register Victoria. 

"The Soldier is dead." Maria jerked harder in James grip, her teeth bared in a threat. "You are wasting your time."

Without warning Alex swiped the blade down her face. Starting at the tip of her forehead, dragging it down through her eyebrow, over her eye, and down to her chin. Maria let out a scream of pain, the venom searing through her flesh. The sting was similar to her wounds from fighting but it seemed to linger.

"See if you would just tell the truth that wouldn't have happened." Alex fake pouted his knife twirling in his fingers.  "Let's try again. Where is the Soldier?" He moved his blade to the left side of her face.

"Why are you so convinced he's alive?" Maria pulled her head back away from Alex into James Torso.

"Show her the photo." James suggested. Maria watched as Victoria pulled a folded up picture from her jacket pocket and handed it to Alex.

"This was taken in a diner in 1948 in Philadelphia." Alex held the picture in front of Maria. "To a human it's just a normal guy. But you can see the scars just like I can." Maria knew it was Jasper even without seeing his face, even without his scars, she would know Jasper anywhere.

"Eight years after The Soldier was confirmed dead." Victoria moved to stand behind Alex once again, a bright smile on her face.

"I can either give you a matching scar on the other side. Or you tell me where the Soldier is." All teasing was gone and the expression on his face was cold as ice. Reluctantly she knew she would have to give in. They had the proof. They knew the truth.

"I don't know where he is." Maria sighed but her head stayed held high. 

"Another scar sounds good." Alex started to press the tip of his knife into her forehead.

"I don't know where is but I know who he's with!" Maria screamed through her grit teeth making Alex pause his assault.

"The coven is returning." Laurent was now standing beside Alex. "We have to go."

"Who is he with?" Alex ignored Laurent and squatted down to Maria's current level "Tell me Maria. WHO IS HE WITH?!" He swiped his blade across her collar bone with his demand.

"A coven called the Cullen's." Maria groaned through the stinging pain burning through her. "I have no idea where they're at. That information is from 50 years ago."

"You have been very helpful Maria." Alex patted his hand against her cheek with a soft smile on his face, like a psychopath after torture would. The blade stabbed straight through her shoulder just as James released her. With a yelp of pain Maria fell forward with her hands in the dirt, the venom filled blade still embedded in her shoulder.

"We have to go." Laurent was pulling Alex away from the scene in front of him.

"La muerte te espera. Que el Soldado no tenga piedad de ti." Maria shouted as she pulled the weapon from her skin. The pain of the venom freezing her from moving but her words made Alex stop just steps from the doorway.

"Until next time." Alex waved with a smirk before he disappeared into the night.

It was hours later after James and Victoria created false leads for Maria's coven to chase down. When the small group of nomads finally settled down for the night, Laurent and Alex needed to sleep. Alex laid his head in James lap while Victoria laid curled up into Alex's chest.

"What did she say to you?" Victoria whispered when Alex's fingers tangled in her bright red hair. Alex stared at the stars, his thoughts focused solely on finding the Cullen's. Finding the Soldier. Maria's words still played over and over in his head.

"Death awaits you. May the Soldier have no mercy on you."