Chapter 30

Konnor was already devouring his meal under the eyes of everyone, they were all trying to think of a way to ask him the one burning question. Finally Richard decided to break the silence.

" Boy, I have a question "

His mouth still full, Konnor turned towards him.

" Wot ? "

" Are you alright ? "

" Yes and no, yes because I get to eat but no because I'm thirsty ! Malik, can I get some water ? Oh and look at this ! " He took his fork and tried stabbing his own hand, the fork simply bent against his skin. " Pretty cool huh ? Some guy even tried to decapitate me and it didn't even leave a scratch ! "

Malik looked at Richard with a worried look, Richard simply nodded at him and Malik went away to get some water. Still eating, Konnor lifted his head and realised he was the only one eating.

" What's wrong ? It's super good, eat up people ! "

Izi remained silent, he knew something happened to his friend but the guilt of letting it happen was preventing him from speaking. As for Maureen, she just hoped Richard would get through to him. Richard placed his hand on Konnor's shoulder.

" Can I tell you a story ? "

Still stuffing his face, he nodded.

" Yesh of courshe "

" During the war I was tasked to find and kill a commander in an enemy camp, get in and get out, an easy job I had done hundreds of times. I thought it would be one of those usual jobs. When I entered the camp, there was no one, it was completely empty. I entered the main tent and discovered all of the soldiers and their families dead. The last person remaining was an old woman. I asked her what had happened, she told me that the commander knew what life would be if they lost. They knew they couldn't win so they asked everyone to kill themselves, their family, their own wives and children. She then laughed at me and said " enjoy your successful and easy mission ". After what she simply slit her own throat still smiling at me. I went back to my camp and Malik can tell you what happened. "

Malik heard part of the story Richard was telling and continued it while pouring Konnor some water.

" He came back, full of energy, and could not stop doing things around camp. He has never been so full of life. Everyone around could feel something was off, he was not sleeping, he was hyperactive around camp for almost two weeks. Then, he got assigned a new job and I saw something I never saw in all the years I knew him : he was terrified, he was shaking. "

Konnor was still eating.

" Richard, scared ? Well that is a rare sight ahah ! By the way, it's gonna get cold. You all should eat. "

Richard sighed heavily.

" I was keeping myself busy so I wouldn't have to deal with the images inside my head. I wanted to quit the army and almost gave up on my goal. Thankfully I had Malik by my side to help me talk it out. Do you understand where I'm going with this boy ? "

Konnor paused. And for the first time since he sat down, he stopped smiling.

" Yeah ... "

" I can only imagine a fraction of what happened for you to turn like this. Do you want to speak about it ? "

He looked at Richard worryingly.