Familiarity kills Jesus' power

Day 6

Jesus left there and went to his hometown, accompanied by his disciples. When the Sabbath came, he began to teach in the synagogue, and many who heard him were amazed. “Where did this man get these things?” they asked. “What’s this wisdom that has been given him? What are these remarkable miracles he is performing? Isn’t this the carpenter? Isn’t this Mary’s son and the brother of James, Joseph, Judas and Simon? Aren’t his sisters here with us?” And they took offense at him.  Jesus said to them, “A prophet is not without honor except in his own town, among his relatives and in his own home.”  He could not do any miracles there, except lay his hands on a few sick people and heal them. He was amazed at their lack of faith. Then Jesus went around teaching from village to village.
Mark 6:1‭-‬6 NIV

Jesus is only as powerful as you make Him to be. Now on His own, He can do great things. He is not great because He performs miracles or heals the sick or saves. Jesus is great because He is great. Whether we choose to believe Jesus or not, His greatness doesn't diminish. He remains the good Shepherd that He is.

But if we become familiar, Jesus will only be a carpenter or somebody's big brother. Jesus could have done so much in that town, but because the entire town had become familiar, He only healed a few sick as the Bible says.
Imagine what Jesus could have accomplished in that town. If only the people had chosen to receive Him as the Son of God.

Sometimes we can become familiar when we become so used to getting blessed. When we become so used to receiving everything we ask for.
Its no wonder that the bible encourages us to study the word daily. We need a fresh and new revelation of Jesus everyday. You cannot run on the old revelation from two months ago. You need a new one everyday. We cannot exhaust the revelations that are in the word of God.

He was amazed at their lack of faith. Then Jesus went around teaching from village to village.
Mark 6:6 NIV

Jesus was amazed at their lack of faith. He was greatly surprised that such Unbelief existed.

God's word is always true. God's word never fails. God's word never changes.

Prayer

In the name of Jesus, Father we bless your name and we declare that you are worthy to be praised by all. Help us see Jesus as you true Son O Lord! Soften out hearts so that we may understand. We also also for your mercy and grace to uphold us. In Jesus' name we pray. Amen.