Chapter Seven

B E L L A M Y

The week dragged on, but luckily for me, Noah had barely been home.

If I was to believe what Isaac told me, he was helping a friend with some construction work. Could I honestly tell myself that I didn't care where he was? No. I liked to be prepared. After all, I didn't want a repeat of what happened the last time I saw him.

Friday afternoon, I was just about to change into my swimsuit and take a dip in Isaac's new pool—which had been staring at me all week—when the man himself came home.

"Hi," Isaac said, dropping his keys on the dining table with a sigh.

"Are you ok?" I asked, sinking in one of the chairs instead of going upstairs.

"Yeah." He took a seat next to me, smiling at me. The fine lines around his eyes stood out against his skin, even more than usual. They didn't make him look old—not at all. It was more like one of his features. Just like the birthmark I have near the corner of my lips.

"Sure?"

He shifted in his seat, but his face relaxed. "It's just been a long week, that's all."

I gave his hand on the table a little squeeze, and stood from my chair. Just as I was about to move to the kitchen, someone's phone went off.

It was Isaac's, and I suppressed a groan when I read Mom.

He picked it up, and I quickly walked to the kitchen to grab a drink for us both.

"Hey, mom," he answered.

I couldn't hear the conversation on the other end, and I tried not to listen. Sure, I was curious about what they were talking about, but it was none of my business.

"Yeah, Bella's here."

Or was it?

I placed Isaac's drink in front of him and received a nod as I sat down again, grabbing my own phone to kill the time and act distracted.

"I'm sure she'll be thrilled to see you tonight at dinner," Isaac said, smirking mischievously at me.

I rolled my eyes but ended it with a smile, nervous but happy to see my parents again. Besides, I had to one day.

"Hmm, yeah, he'll be there too," Isaac went on, and my eyes widened. He?

I tried to act casual, sipping my soda until Isaac hung up the phone and sat back.

"Who's coming?"

"Oh, she asked if—" He got interrupted by the sound of the front door opening, and we looked up. "Speak of the devil."

He's a devil alright.

"Really?" I whispered, holding up my hands in defeat when Isaac shot me a warning look.

"Just the man I wanted to see," Isaac said, turning in his seat to face Noah, who had just kicked off his dirty boots and walked to the kitchen.

"Here I am," he replied casually, grabbing an apple from the bowl on the counter and taking a loud bite.

I knew where this was going, and I wasn't really interested in being in the same room as Noah for much longer than necessary, so I quickly made my way up the stairs.

Sighing, I pulled open my wardrobe, scanning the contents until I found an outfit appropriate for dinner with my family. And Noah.