The next phase

"Good job, y/n. You've clearly gotten better at fighting." Jigen complemented me as I stood in front of him, heavily panting. "Thank you." I said. "Do you think I will be able to fight with actual weapons soon?"

Don't get me wrong, I hate training. I also hate fighting with Jigen, but if I wanted any chance of living past 15, I would have to get a shit ton stronger. Besides, being able to properly wield a sword would be the coolest thing, ever!

"Yes, I think your training is ready to advance to the next phase." Jigen said as he put away his metal pole. He looked very pleased. "It will not be with weapons, though. I'll notify you about it soon. I will have to discuss it with Amado first."

"Huh? But I thought the next step would be like, swords or kunai." I said confused. 'Discuss it with Amado? But he is in charge of medical things and body modification. I don't want any of that!' Jigen's expression immediately changed. "No, you will not be learning how to work with weapons, yet. Didn't I just say that?"

Ohh shit, I should've kept my mouth shut. No matter how much I tried, I never really managed to keep questions from leaving my mouth. "Right, I'm very sorry." I quickly said. I suppose I shouldn't ask what the next phase is then. Jigen'll just get mad at me.

"One more thing." Jigen said. "You have pretty much read every book in the library by now. I'm relieving you from your studying duty. When I have discussed what to do in the next phase, your training with me will be extended and you will use the other time to train with the Outers. Until then, you are free to visit the library whenever you want."

I was astonished. It was true that I had read pretty much every book in the library, but I didn't want to leave that place. Even though I hated the people, the library was my escape. And I would have to train with Outers on a daily basis?! I don't want that! I knew however that it didn't matter what I wanted in this organisation, I would just have to suck it up and go along with it.

"Okay." I said. "Can I ask one more question?" I was trying to stay relaxed, however, this is Jigen, we're talking about. I was already terrified that I had said too much. "One question. No more." Jigen said. "Am I still allowed to visit the library in my free time, after we start with the next phase of my training?"

I asked, internally pleading for the answer to be yes. Jigen was silent for a couple seconds, only increasing my anxiety. "Why would you want to be in the library, you've already read the books." He finally asked.

Wait, did THE Jigen just ask ME a question? A sincere question? What is happening?! Is he thinking I want to be in the library to read the books again? Does he think I haven't actually studied?

I quickly gathered myself together before answering. "Because I like the library. Being there and reading books, gives me comfort. I don't mind reading books I've already memorised again. It is still calming."

Jigen looked at me like he was searching in my soul. I uncomfortable shifted on my feet, while keeping eye-contact. "Very well. You are allowed to access the library in your free time." He finally said. My eyes slightly widened at his answer. "Thank you very much!" I almost yelled as I bowed in gratitude.

I waited until Jigen left the training hall, before leaving myself. It was a common thing at this point. I simply wanted to avoid the chance of running into him in the hallways. I would have no idea how to react. Thus I waited a couple minutes before going to my room. I grabbed my pajamas and walked towards the showers.

Today was shower day. We only got one shower every week, and the shower would only run for 10 minutes on lukewarm water. It was the best time of the week, nonetheless. I savored every bit of it. We didn't really get good soap either. We had to share one bottle with everyone. I barely got any soap out of the empty bottle.

By the time I finished showering and was drying myself with a small towel, a couple girls came into the bathroom. Im sure they didn't notice me in the stall at the very back, because the started gossiping with each other. Not that I complained, I love gossip!

"Right?? I read about in the library and just couldn't believe it was true." "What book did you read, then?? I still don't fully believe it btw." "Its true! I found it in the biology section. I don't really remember with book but it had something to do with fish." "Who would've imagined fish with teeth actually existed...!"

I sighed. 'Fish with teeth? Seriously? I learned that a month ago! Pack up the pace, girls. Fish with teeth is nothing, wait till you find out about the elephants with hair.'

"Oh did you hear?" "Hear what?" "Apparently the Vessel has had major progress lately and will advance to the next phase soon!" "Wait really??"

'The vessel? That's Kawaki! And he will advance to the next phase? That means he's doing good, right?'

"Yeah apparently Gato heard Delta talk about it and got really mad." "Ohh, he never liked the Vessel, did he?" "No, I think the clashed somewhere in the past. Garo refuses to talk about it." "That means the Vessel is really strong, don't you think?" "Heheh yeah probably, I bet he's super handsome as well!" "What do you think he looks like?"

As much as I liked the information and reassurance that Kawaki was doing okay, I couldn't stand listening these girls fangirling about Kawaki. Unfortunately for me, I recognized these girls to be the biggest gossip queens of the Outers. And I refused to be their next topic. I don't know how they did it, but they always managed to get something to criticize me on.

So I waited in the shower until they left. Which, unfortunately, was a very long time. I wanted to go to the library again, but I don't think I would be able to handle even more gossip. So I walked straight to my room.

'Kawaki is also advancing forward, huh.'