An unexpected visitor

I quickly walked back to my room. It was late at night when I was released from the hospital ward. A little more than two months has passed since I achieved the next phase. My mind had gone dumb, I no longer heard the rumors, death threats and slurs everyone threw at me.

The only thing I felt was physical pain, and all I had to do for that to disappear was wait and let it happen. The Outers took turns in beating me up, then Jigen hit me until I lost consciousness. At the end of the day, I had bruises all over my body.

I opened the door and entered the trashed space. I didn't even bother cleaning it anymore, they would just trash it again. I fixed my bed, gathered my blanket and layed in bed. It was the most comfortable place. I refused to go to sleep, no matter how tired I was.

It was my way of gaining a little control over my life. The only bit I had to take in own hands. I usually stayed up for a couple more hours before I couldn't avoid falling asleep.

I was well aware of how bad this was for me. I became exhausted, couldn't focus anymore, my performance during training reduced. Which lead to me getting more beat up. It was an endless cycle, but I didn't mind.

I just had to get through the pain over and over again. That wasn't too bad, at least I had a little control over my life now.

The only thing I couldn't stop were the thoughts. They liked to come out at night. I was still numb, though. I patiently listened to them, not caring, not shedding a single tear, no emotion showed. I just couldn't anymore, even if I wanted to, they never came.

'There is no point in this life.' I noticed I was slowly falling asleep, so I sat up and dangled my feet off the edge of my bed. 'I should die already. Let Jigen kill me.' I sighed. This story again? 'If he could beat me up like that, he wouldn't mind if I died, would he?'

I grabbed my watch and looked at the time. 'Maybe we should just kill him.' It was almost 12am. 'Nahh we can't do that, we can't even use nature energy.' I just had to stay awake for at least two more hours. 'Besides, it would be better to kill myself in front of him.' I silently chuckled.

'And in front of the other Outers. Bet they won't have anything to say then.' I kind of am pathetic, aren't I. 'Kawaki will just have to survive this alone.' I'm sitting here in the dark, listening to my own thoughts, refusing to sleep.

'Not that it would be any different from now.' I feel like I'm forgetting something. 'He probably doesn't even know I exist anyway.' There was supposed to be something special about tomorrow. 'It's just me, pathetically clinging something to him.'

It's on the point of my tongue. 'Is it hope? I think it is.' Ahh, it's my birthday tomorrow, isn't it? 'I'm surprised that still exists in this world.' I will get a lovely present, beatings! Isn't that fun?

I stood up from my bed and started walking in circles. It was one of my ways of staying awake. Still listening to my empty thoughts. It was all I could hear, the rest of the world was asleep and silent.

I looked at my watch again, 11.57pm. How old was I turning? I don't remember my parents telling me my age. How long have I been in here? Too long for my liking, that's for sure.

I suddenly heard footsteps. My head turned to the door faster than ever. I didn't recognize these footsteps, which means I didn't know this person. And they were moving fast. I could hear panting. The footsteps stopped at my door and the doorknob started turning. I took a step back and instantly assumed battle position.

The door opened and a figure emerged before quickly shutting the door again. "Who are you and what are you doing in my room." I said, with a stern voice. The person turned around and stepped a little forward in the light. "... y/n?" I tried to hide my shock. "Why do you know my... wait... Kawaki?"

The boy stepped a little forward. "What are you doing here?" 'Is this guy for real?' "What am I doing here? I should be asking you that, what are you doing in my room?" I said, crossing my arms.

''This is your room?'' Kawaki asked. I nodded. "Why are you here though." I asked again. "It's a long story.'' the boy said. "I've got plenty of time. Start from the beginning." I said. Kawaki started explaining. "Okay, ehh... Well, it started when -" Then I heard a set of footsteps.

Kawaki had also heard them, because he fell silent, and his head immediately turned to the door. I silently walked towards the door with my finger on my lips. "Hide under the bed." I whispered to him, he nodded and duck underneath my bed.

I put my ear on the door, listening closely to the sounds. I could hear multiple people shouting at each other. Concluding from their footsteps and voices, they were the Inners. Bad news.

And lucky for us, they were coming this way. I quickly walked away from the door and sat on the bed, as to not raise suspicion if they would walk in. The door opened and quickly revealed two big silhouettes.

Delta and Amado.