The crash

I woke up in the airship. Or what was left of it. My body ached all over. As I struggled to get up, pushing storage containers and other cargo off of me, I remembered what happened prior to my slumber. A sudden wave of happiness soured through me. I had escaped!

I looked around the transportation vehicle. The insides were thrown all over, the suspiciously big container was open and the door of the ship was open. I tried to walk towards it, but I fell to the ground as I took a step.

'Oh no...' I thought as I felt my ankle burst into pain. I looked at it and saw it was severely swollen. I suspected it was bruised pretty badly. That meant I was supposed to still be able to walk on it, however.

So, that's what I did. I tried to take another step and bit on my lip to stop myself from crying out from the pain. It didn't seem like I had more injuries, aside from multiple bruises and a severe headache.

I stumbled towards the door and carefully looked outside. Aside from the weird robots that were all over the ground, it was empty. I walked towards the closest machine and examined it. It was indeed a robot, but it was beat up and seemed to be broken. No use for me, then.

I tried to use my nature energy to sense the area and get an idea of where I was, but my headache was too much. I couldn't concentrate and eventually gave up. I did sense 4 people coming this way.

'Is it Kara? Is it the enemy? Who is it? I cannot recognize their footsteps from this distance, especially not with my condition right now. I have to get out of sight.' I thought as I tried to run towards the closest part of the forest.

I hid inside the bushes just in time for 4 people and a dog to appear on a cliff, facing the entrance of the airship. I did not recognize them. There were 3 kids, a blond guy with black clothes, and raven girl with red clothes and a blue haired boy with blue clothes.

There was 1 adult man, he had glasses and wore some sort of weird armor. The dog had light brown and white fur. They went down the cliff and started investigating the area. Until the robots started moving and attacking them. 'Man, am I glad I got out of there quickly!' I thought.

The 3 kids used impressive fighting skills, while the others hid in the airship. They used elemental techniques... 'Are these people ninjas?' I thought as I watched in amazement. They eventually defeated the robots and destroyed them for good.

'Well, this certainly was entertaining, but I think this is my cue to leave.' I thought as I turned around and stumbled the other way, into the unknown forest.

-----

My stomach rumbled. I hadn't eaten in hours! I skipped breakfast to search for the airship in Amado's office. I had no idea where I was going, it felt like I had been walking forever. 'I should have thought this through.' I scolded myself in my head.

My ankle hurt incredibly and my headache wasn't reducing at all. This was not looking very good. I had to find something to eat. And quickly. I tried using my nature energy again to search my surroundings, this time for something such as fruits.

'Come on... come on!!' I prayed in my head and to my luck, not far from my position, a thorned bush with tons of berries stood. I had no idea whether these berries were poisonous, but I didn't care. I stumbled there as fast as I could and looked at the berries in front of me.

I was about to eat them, when I heard a voice behind me. "I wouldn't eat those if I were you. They're poisonous." I have never turned around faster. 'How long has someone been behind me? How did I not sense them with nature energy?! Is it the headache? Was I too distracted?'

Behind me was no other than Garo. The Outer who beat me up in my first training session. I beat him up after that and won the sparring game. He's had this hate for me ever since. I inwardly cursed. I was in no shape to take him on.

My ankle was severely bruised, I could barely walk and my head was killing me. He, on the other hand, looked properly rested, not a scratch on his body and fat as ever. He had clearly eaten recently, unlike me who was about to eat poisonous berries from hunger.

"What are you doing here." I asked Garo angrily. I did not like this at all. The Outer laughed. "What am I doing here? I should ask you that question! Though I can't complain, at least now I have a chance to prove myself and get promoted as an Inner."

He smirked. I cringed in disgust. 'Don't tell me...' "Yes, that's right." Garo said. "I'm the one who is tasked to retrieve you. I also have another mission, but that can come later. I can't pass this opportunity to beat you up, after all. This will be easy, you look pathetic."

I stayed silent, not giving him anything to form a reaction off. I was panicking on the inside, though. He was right, I did look pathetic, I knew it. He would win the fight in less than a minute. I can't let that happen. I had finally escaped, I'm not going back to Kara again, ever!

But, before I could form any sort of a plan, Garo got into fighting position and launched himself towards me. I took a step back to brace myself and put my arms forwards, gathering nature energy in front of me as a shield.

The Outer threw his arm backwards and punched me against my arms, my quickly formed shield breaking almost immediately. I was thrown back through the bush, its thorns tearing through my clothes and skin, and landed against a tree. I fell down on the ground, heavily coughing, as the punch took all of the air out of my lungs.

I looked up to see Garo running towards me. I summoned my scythe and clumsily stood up. Garo put his arms in front of him and launched explosions out of his crab-like claws. I ran to the side, evading his attack. I could feel blood spilling from my wounds.

I spun my scythe between my fingers and turned my body. It was time for my attack. I silently ran towards the Outer, gathering nature energy from my surroundings and jumped. I readied my scythe and brought it down, using the energy to sharpen the blade and enhance the force of my blow.

Garo defended himself at the last minute and deflected the attack from his face towards his side. I still managed to give him a deep cut in his shoulder. He hissed in pain and sent me an angry glare.

He brought the arm from his uninjured shoulder upwards and pointed his claw towards me. I was defenseless in the air. I tried to turn my body, but completely failed. I needed two feet and good balance to do this trick. I had none at the moment due to my injuries.

He fired one of his explosions at my side. I could feel the heat burning my skin, melting my clothes into the burn. I was blown to the side from the impact and rolled several times over the ground before finally coming to a stop.

I coughed up some blood and clutched my side. Those were definitely third-degree burns, and they had completely eradicated my side, not leaving a single blood cell or nerve behind. 'That bastard!' I thought as I gritted my teeth and looked up. My vision was blurred, I had to finish this quickly, I'm not going to last much longer.

Garo was charging at me once again. I barely had time to pick up my scythe and defend myself. I got pushed back a couple of meters and tripped over a sticking up tree root, falling on my back, and hitting my head. This only worsened my headache.

The Outer stepped over me, with his feet on both sides and brought his crab-like claws downwards. I put my trusted scythe in front of me and caught his attack right above my face. My arms shook as I struggled to keep him from hitting me.

"Not so feisty now, are we?" Garo laughed creepily as he spit in my face. I cringed back in disgust once again. 'Why would you spit in my face, what is wrong with you?! Gross!!' I cussed in my head.

But, as much as I hated to admit it, he was right. My strength was fading as I struggled to keep conscious, my scythe coming closer to my face with each second. Tears started forming in the corner of my eyes.

'This can't be happening. I can't go back there. I can't... Jigen will kill me! He made that very clear last time I tried escaping. Please, you can't do this to me, I can't go back there. Let me go, please... You have to let me go...'

I thought as I closed my eyes. My tears finally leaving my eyes. They felt warm on my skin, I hadn't cried in years. The last thing I remembered was me dropping my scythe and Garo laughing maniacally before I was swallowed by darkness.