The Hokage

The faint noise of footsteps and the blinding light that went through my eyelids slowly woke me up.

I slowly opened my eyes but refused to move otherwise. My memory was fuzzy, and I couldn't quite recall who I was with. It's just a precaution, no one has to know I'm awake, that gives me some time to figure things out. I saw I was on someone's back. The person was running through a clearing, headed for a village.

It is day. Noted. No one is following us. Noted. Aside from being tired, I am not really physically hurt. Noted. This person who is carrying me does not show any evil intentions, yet. Noted. I can feel the scroll with my scythe poking in my stomach, I still have my weapon. Noted. The person who is carrying me is steadily growing out of breath. Noted.

I suddenly recognize said person. It's Kawaki. Okay. Okay, that's good. I can scratch the idea of evil intentions. That's a relief. I move my head to get a better look at the village we're heading to. I know this will reveal that I am awake, but I'm with Kawaki, so it's fine. It should be fine.

The village is not too big. It is heavily populated, though. I assume lots of travelers come here to rest. I notice a train track. Okay, maybe the village is bigger than I originally thought. People continuously walk in and out of the village. I see a couple of shops, tons of houses and I can feel the cheery atmosphere from here.

"Oh, you're awake?" Kawaki interrupts my observations. I turn to look at him. "Yeah." I stay silent for a bit. "You've found the village." "No I didn't." He turns his head and meets my eyes. "You found it."

I snorted. "I only gave you a rough direction and then blacked out. I think it's safe to say you found it." He studies me for a moment and then turns his attention back to the village. "I disagree. But whatever you think is fine."

-------

I was only allowed from Kawaki's back when we stepped into the village. He insisted that I get enough rest. That I was awake didn't mean I had enough energy to move around on my own. As much as I hated to admit it, I was grateful. I was indeed still very tired, I just didn't want to be a burden.

"Alright. The plan. We need food." I spoke. "And a place to both hide from those shinobi and rest." Kawaki chimed in. I nodded and thought for a couple of seconds. "I don't think we should split up, if something happens, we should be together. At least until we're fully rested. We can figure out what we do then afterwards."

Kawaki agreed and proposed to get some food first. We went on our way. Since we both don't have any belongings nor money, we had to steal. Something we also couldn't afford, was drawing attention to ourselves.

That's why we searched for a less populated area in the village. All we had to find was a used house where no one was home. That way we could break in and be certain there would be food. After a little searching, we found it.

It was a small house, near the train station. You could only access it after you went through half off the village, however. We supposed that was why the area was less populated. We walked to the door and tried to open it. Locked. To be expected.

Kawaki moved back. He was going to force it open. "Wait!" I quickly interrupted. "We shouldn't use force, that will once attract attention." The boy looked at me with an annoyed expression.

"How else do you intend to get in, then."

"I can just use my nature energy. It'll be over in a second." I spoke as I kneeled in front of the lock. After a quick inspection I found out it was a simple lock, all you needed was a key. Fortunately for me, I could harden the air in the lock, making a precisely fitting key on the spot.