21. The Scientist

“Yo! Man why are you bugging the shit out of me today?” Royce cries out in frustration as I fuck up another beat he’s working on by leaning over him and deliberately pushing the wrong buttons on his mixer. He swats my hand away for a third time and I spin in my chair.

“I got an hour to kill before I pick Jas up, you were next on my list to annoy” I slap him on the back grinning at him while he glares at me in return. I can’t just chill in my own studio so Heaven was the next best place although this place usually had more people in it and more people coming and going than the subway in New York but it was quiet today thankfully.

“Why is this place quiet enough for me to hangout in today?” I ponder out loud before reaching across my working friend, flicking some random switches, distorting the beat he was working on. Royce curses under his breath before turning the stink eye on “Because Mutha fucker, I’m trying to finish some shit!”

I resist the urge to laugh, I’m feeling giddy because I’ll be with Jasmin soon.

“So I heard you have a juicy video of your girl” he waggles his eyebrows at me, like fuck am I showing him Jasmin heating up my supper last week. She’ll have my balls in a vice if she ever remembers me whipping out my phone and recording her and sure as fuck she’d double murder me if I showed anybody, but I will murder the gossiping asshole that is Denaun for telling him.

“Sorry bro, my eyes only” I state my case firmly and he snorts before going back to making his beats as I spin slowly on the chair, sighing. I didn’t get laid last week because Jas was a drunken mess and it was shark week this week so nothing happening today either, but I had made nice plans nonetheless.

“Marshall, either stop spinning and sighing or just get the fuck out. I can’t concentrate” Royce bitches beside me and its nearly time to go anyway, so with a final flick of the wrong buttons I run out the door before the fucker can up with catch me.

Thirty minutes later and this day was not working out as planned.

Jane had opened the door to her home and let me in whispering low and quick that Jasmin was not in the best of moods and just as I was about to ask why, she appeared in the doorway. Giving Jane the evil eye before just as quickly turning it on me. I smiled back at her trying to lift her mood

 Jane left the room quickly but the tension lingering in the air did not. “Have you just come to stare at me or are we fucking?”

Sounds like something I would say, biting the inside of my cheek and smothering the urge to tell her to go fuck herself I stride towards her, intending to take her in my arms.

 Jas looks petulant, arms folded across her chest tightly, finger nails digging into her skin. Watching her she doesn’t shrink under my now returned glare, instead the bitch rolls her eyes heavenward and pushes straight past me, I watch in total disbelief as she snatches up her bag and walks out ahead of me.

When I catch up she’s standing by the passenger door of my car, tapping her foot and sighing like I’m keeping the bitch waiting.

But I remain resolute, determined we will have a nice afternoon together and she fucking will enjoy it whether she likes it or not. She will not ruin my good humour.

“I thought it might be nice to do some fun things together today babe" I say once we are in the car, before reaching over and resting my hand on the top of her warm thigh and squeezing gently. Jas looks down at my hand as if looking at a fly landing on her before slowly lifting her eyes up to meet mine, the thought I should remove my hand crosses my mind but instead I squeeze the firm flesh once more before shaking my head and laughing quietly at her mood.