Chapter 16

📍Bucharest, Romania | May 2015

"All you have to do is fish out information from him. Use your abilities if you have to," Dr. Petrov instructed sternly.

"Will I have to kill him?" I asked in a small voice.

"What's the golden rule?" He replied.

"Kill or be killed," I responded.

Dr. Petrov nodded curtly, "Whatever plead he does, rule number one, never appeal to emotions."

"Now, go," he said.

And the following events were all gruesome. Everything was filled with blood, surrounded by burning flames. "You are nothing without HYDRA. You are a monster," kept echoing.

"I'm not," I said.

"Monster."

"No," I repeated.

"Nothing."

"Shut up!" I screamed, holding my head which was pounding.

"Doll," a voice said.

"Doll!" She was snapped back from the remainder of her nightmare last night.

"What was that?" I asked, stopping from walking and looking back at him.

They were out in the streets today for a stroll.

He wore a concerned face, "I've been talking to you for 5 minutes now, and you're elsewhere. Are you ok?"

She nodded vigorously, tucking her hair behind her ear, "I'm good. It's nothing."

He clenched his jaw, knowing she's lying. She doesn't notice it, but she keeps spacing out for about a month now.

"The truth," he said sternly, reaching for a strand of hair she missed.

Ever since that night they had their hands interlocked, they have been more physical with each other in expressing their affection.

Nothing too serious though.

She sighed, "I've been getting flashbacks that's all."

"Of what?"

"My first mission," she answered with pain in her stormy eyes as she looked up to him.

They stood in the middle of the sidewalk, standing close with his "How old were you?" He asked, not wanting to see her so upset.

She was filled with dread. She didn't want him to see her like how everyone else sees her be.

Danger. Death. Pain.

"It's okay if you don't want-"

"Seven," she blurted out, waiting for his reaction.

Once he heard it, he didn't know what to say. She was so young. And he knows how HYDRA works. It didn't take a genius to know that it was gruesome. Someone always ends up being killed.

"I-"

He was interrupted by the news display on the television of the store they were across from.

It was the Avengers.

"Sokovia is under attack," was flashed on the screen as they both watched robotic creatures destroy buildings.

"That's Steve," she muttered as he saw Captain America yield his shield.