Chapter 23

📍 Avengers Compound, New York | June 2016

"11 Wakandans were among those killed during a confrontation between the Avengers and a group of mercenaries in Lagos, Nigeria, last month. The traditionally reclusive Wakandans were on an outreach mission in Lagos when the attack occurred."

"Our people's blood is spilled on foreign soil. Not only because of the actions of criminals but by the indifference of those pledged to stop them. Victory at the expense of the innocent is no victory at all," King T'Chaka said in a press conference.

"The Wakanda king went on to..." the news anchor said but was cut off by Steve turning the computer off.

He stood up, hearing the sound drift towards him from another room, "They are operating outside and above the international law. Because that's the reality if we don't respond to acts like these."

He saw Wanda, sitting on her bed, watching the news on her TV, "What legal authority does an enhanced individual like Wanda Maximoff have to operate in Nigeria-"

Steve turned off the television, leaning against the door frame.

"It's my fault," Wanda said.

"That's not true," Steve denied.

"Turn the TV back on. They're being very specific."

"I should've clocked that bomb vest long before you had to deal with it," he said, walking over to her.

He sat beside Wanda on the bed, "Rumlow said 'Bucky' and... all of a sudden I was a 16-year-old kid again, in Brooklyn."

"And people died. It's on me," Steve finished.

"It's on both of us," Wanda said.

Steve sighed, making her understand, "This job... we try to save as many people as we can. Sometimes that doesn't mean everybody. But if we can't find a way to live with that, next time... maybe nobody gets saved."

Vision interrupted Wanda and Steve by walking through the wall into Wanda's room.

"Vis! We talked about this," Wanda scolded in shock.

"Yes, but the door was open so I assumed that..." Vision gestured at the door and stopped. "Captain Rogers wished to know when Mr. Stark was arriving."

"Thank you. We'll be right down," Steve said.

"I'll...use the door. Oh, and apparently, he's brought a guest," Vision stated.

"We know who it is?"

"The Secretary of State," he answered.

And that's how the Secretary of State, Thaddeus Ross, is standing at the head of a table with Rhodey, Natasha, Steve, Tony, Sam, Vision, and Wanda are gathered around for a meeting.

"Aren't we starting yet?" Tony asked as they have been seated for 5 minutes now.

"Hold on, we're waiting for someone," Secretary Ross said.

"Who could we be waiting for?" Sam asked.

"I'm not late. You're just early," a female voice said, entering the room.

Everyone's eyes widened as they saw the white head beauty.

"You're alive?!" Sam exclaimed with his mouth gaped.

Tony scanned her up and down before asking, "Who is she?"

"I'm glad you could join us. Please have a seat," the secretary motioned on the chair.